factory turned stummels

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
sean

factory turned stummels

Post by sean »

I've noticed that a few pipe makers offer an affordable grade pipe that come from factory turned stummels. This idea interests me a great deal but I have no idea where one acquires these factory turned stummels. Are these factory seconds, a factory that closed down that sold inventory? I'm sure these are trade secretes but I would love the chance to practice new finishing techniques I'm brainstorming w/o "trying it on a pipe I've just spent 10 hrs on.

Any help on where and how much these cost would be great!

Thanks,
Sean - I Still Suck
http://www.epperspipes.com
DMI

Re: factory turned stummels

Post by DMI »

You can buy stummels from here:

http://www.calabriapipe.com/it/componen ... /Itemid,3/

But as you said most come from closed down factories.

David.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

sean wrote:
I sell unfinished stummels for $200 each; contact me about your first order today!

I've seen a few guys selling them at shows, but there wasn't much consistency in shape price or quality.
mredmond
Site Supporter

factory turned stummels

Post by mredmond »

Skip Elliott offered some up for sale, here on the forum, a while back. Search the classifieds and you should find the post.

Micah
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks guys I'll check into all of these.

Blessings,
Sean - I Still Suck
http://www.epperspipes.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

You could just buy cheap ebay pipes and then sand them down and practice on them. I use them to practice on rustication techniques and staining.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Frank

Post by Frank »

smokindawg wrote:You could just buy cheap ebay pipes and then sand them down and practice on them. I use them to practice on rustication techniques and staining.
A word of caution to rank beginners buying estate pipes on eBay to practice on. I did the same thing prior to having any "pipe knowledge".

True story: I bought a small lot of about 5 pipes on eBay for around $20. I was standing at my belt grinder, about to grind away the finish on one, when I noticed some letter/number stamping on the underside of the pipe. Being curious, I went to eBay and typed in the name. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the same name brand pipes selling for 100's of dollars, used! My hands actually started shaking when I realised that I had been holding that pipe less than 2 inches from the running belt grinder! Yes, beginner's luck had sent two (read it again, two) Pre-Transition Barling pipes my way. One of them was a standard rusticated "Ye Olde Wood", but even better the other was a "Quaint". Resold them on eBay for approx. $200+ & $400+ respectively.

Moral of the story, check those old pipes before trashing them!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

eBay seller Alexander Zavvos (store is Alexander Briar) sells stummels in groups of 5 fairly often, for only a few bucks each.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

sean wrote:I've noticed that a few pipe makers offer an affordable grade pipe that come from factory turned stummels. This idea interests me a great deal but I have no idea where one acquires these factory turned stummels. Are these factory seconds, a factory that closed down that sold inventory? I'm sure these are trade secretes but I would love the chance to practice new finishing techniques I'm brainstorming w/o "trying it on a pipe I've just spent 10 hrs on.

Thanks,
Good to know. This might be a great way to practice cutting and fitting preform stems and tenons... y'know... for us super noobs. :oops:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Good to know. This might be a great way to practice cutting and fitting preform stems and tenons... y'know... for us super noobs. :oops:

Great idea - it can be scary tearing into a $25 block when you're just starting out.
Massis

Post by Massis »

e Markle wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:

Great idea - it can be scary tearing into a $25 block when you're just starting out.
I bought $5 blocks from jaume hom. Less scary, still frustrating when you mess up yet another one...