A general question about Arbors

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jdkearns

A general question about Arbors

Post by jdkearns »

So, I have been in the process of buying tools/equipment to turn wood and hopefully a few pipes along the way. I was able to snag a (new to me) Jet 1014 for what I thought was a good price, and the former owner threw in a few of his old motors to clean out his garage. Originally, I was planning on buying a belt/disc sander and a bench top grinder, but getting those motors has changed that. I have a limited amount of money, and am going to invest the money (I would have spent on the sander/grinders) in a good lathe chuck and some better turning tools for the lathe, but I'm wondering about the motors...

My plan so far is to use one motor as a dedicated sanding disc, and one as a grinder. Both are 1/2 hp, running at 1725rpm, with a 1/2" shaft. What I haven't been able to find, besides Kurt's arbor/sanding disc and the Beall buff system (both of which I plan on purchasing soon), is an all-purpose arbor to use for a grinding disc and other applications.

Basically, I'm trying to save money and use the motors for multiple purposes. I'm new to all of this, and any suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!
pipeguy

Re: A general question about Arbors

Post by pipeguy »

You can call Tim West www.jhlowe.com or make your own out of wood or rolled aluminum and tap both sides with the appropriate
size you need hopes this helps Bob Clark
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
jdkearns

Re: A general question about Arbors

Post by jdkearns »

Bob - Thanks much! It never fails - I can't tell you how many times I've been to that site but never saw the arbors...