Increasing the draw...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
AAdomeit

Increasing the draw...

Post by AAdomeit »

I've got a Dr. Grabow 1/2 bent, but the draw tube (air hole?) has some pretty crappy draw.

I'm not sure how to increase the air flow on a 1/2 bent - and I don't really have any equipment to do the alterations that I think I need to do. Does anybody have suggestions? What other information do you need to know?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Just a hand drill is all you need really. You can use anywhere from a 1/8" to 3/16" bit for the drilling. Additionally, its a good idea to drill the stem some too. Try and taper it by using seccessivly smaller bits,(starting with the one used to drill out the draught passage in the stummel) each time drilling a bit deeper.
Nick

Post by Nick »

D'OOH! This is in the stemwork section!!!

Well, you could use the method I mentioned above, but that will get you only so far. To really open the stem up all the way, you'd need to straighten the stem out. You could do this by heating it up over a candle. I've no idea how hard this is. And of course after you drill it, you'd need to rebend the stem.

Its probably easier to put a new stem on it. Get a stem blank and start from scratch.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

I have a toaster oven - I think Random had mentioned at some point that he used a toaster oven for shaping stems. I may have him confused with someone else (wouldn't doubt it)...

Would that work?

[quote]D'OOH! This is in the stemwork section!!![/quote]

Uhm, is this a problem? *glances furtively about, hoping that Tyler won't come rushing into the thread with a big stick*
Nick

Post by Nick »

I think it would. I'm pretty sure that's what Kurt Huhn said he uses to soften up stems. Two hundred and fouty degrees sticks out in my mind.
ToddJohnson

Re: Increasing the draw...

Post by ToddJohnson »

AAdomeit wrote:I've got a Dr. Grabow 1/2 bent, but the draw tube (air hole?) has some pretty crappy draw.

I'm not sure how to increase the air flow on a 1/2 bent - and I don't really have any equipment to do the alterations that I think I need to do. Does anybody have suggestions? What other information do you need to know?
Being a Grabow, it's likely you have the little metal thingy, yes? You can cut the little ball off and drill out the draft hole through the stem a bit. You will also want to drill the airhole through the shank out to a corresponding diameter. It's probably best to straighten the stem so that you don't end up drilling into the bend. Passing the stem back and forth quickly through the flame should render it pliable in a minute or so. I've also heard that stems have a tendency to "melt" when left in the car so you might want to try that. It's never actually happened to any of the hundreds of pipe enthusiasts I know, but I have it on good authority that this is the case. Second thought, just use the flame.

Anyway, drilling them both out should give you a more open draw, but you're going to be creating a lot of problems too (condensation, turbulence, etc). A Grabow simply isn't going to smoke like a Lindner no matter what you do, but opening it up a bit can't hurt. I would give that a shot. Your best bet might just be to go with an estate Stanwell. They're well engineered and usually deliver an excellent smoke. I should think you can get one for under $30 on eBay.

Best of luck,

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

ToddJohnson wrote: I would give that a shot. Your best bet might just be to go with an estate Stanwell. They're well engineered and usually deliver an excellent smoke. I should think you can get one for under $30 on eBay.
Todd is right. Stanwells are pretty good smokers and are fairly cheap to boot. I've recently picked up 3 or so on ebay and paid between $18 and 40 for them. Try one out. They are much better than a Grabow and really not much more money. Plus, you don't have to drill them out or remove any stinger attachments, they actually smoke well from the get-go.

Jeff
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

[b]I'm tired of the *******. Send it to me along with return postage and I'll fix it for you. Snailey is on website contact page, email me if you ship it.[/b]

Uhm....Alright. I'm not sure what brought this on. Random, I can't access your email addy, that is the only reason why I PM'ed you. I prefer email myself....

Uh, yeah...postage is a bit more than I can afford (roughly $30 CAN either way), so if that comment (above) was directed at me, I'm afraid it's out of the question.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I don't know about "from" Canada, but I've shipped several pipes "to" Canada for between $6.00 and $8.00 USD, using Global Priority Mail.

Hope this helps,

Rad
Nick

Post by Nick »

If you want to send it some where, see if you can catch John Roechlue - I'm sure I've misspelled his name. I believe he lives in Canada.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nick wrote:I think it would. I'm pretty sure that's what Kurt Huhn said he uses to soften up stems. Two hundred and fouty degrees sticks out in my mind.
I set my toaster oven at 300, since the temp is really unpredictable in there, and watch stuff closely. I also pre-heat, so stuff doesn't get scorched. I'll use a heat gun though, if circumstances call for it (like the wife is watching the kitchen :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com