110 or 220 ?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Alden

110 or 220 ?

Post by Alden »

I'm finally to the point where I wire electric out to my little shop.
I've asked around, and read up on this question but cant find a hard answer anywhere.
I have a few motors, like my Jet 920, that are wired for 110 but can be switched to 220. I'll be wiring everything in the shop from scratch and I could run 220 just as easily as 110, with just the hassle of rewiring the motors.
I've heard the general argument of using less power, less loss on long wire runs (I'm 65 feet from the main breaker at the house), and that its cheaper to use 220.
The best answer I've found is my friend who thinks the motor may last longer with heavy use if they're running in 220.
What do you guys run on equipment that can switch between the two ?
Anyone switched a Jet BD920 lathe to run 220 ?
Growley

Re: 110 or 220 ?

Post by Growley »

I have no idea when it comes to electricity, but these guys do www.electriciantalk.com. I know because my company owns this site. Don't sign up and pretend to be a contractor because you'll get banned quickly, but you may be able to pick up enough just from lurking. Maybe it will help.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks Growley.
I've read the debates on it. Both sides have facts to prove its either pointless or mandatory depending on the opinions.
I was just curious what the resident pipe maestros thought about it.
Apparently, not much :D
I think I will switch everything I can to 220, I'm just not convinced its necessary.
andrew

Post by andrew »

It is really easy to switch the wiring in the motor. There is usually a conspicuous cover plate. The underside of the plate will have the two wiring diagrams.

As far as the 110/220 thing, it probably won't make much difference right now for you. If you are running the tool all day every day, then I would say 220 is great. You can save on power costs (not much, but some). I've run motors (the same motor rewired) on both 110 and 220 and can't really tell a performance difference. There will be more loss along the wires (free heat for your walls) running a motor on 110, but when you're only drawing a handful of amps in a running condition this is pretty inconsequential. My 2hp saw motor is rated at 12 amps per conductor in 220 and 25 amps in 110. Probably the biggest difference for you running 110 vs. 220 will be install cost. It is more expensive to run 220. The wire is more expensive, the plugs are more expensive, the outlets are more expensive, etc. And you'll probably still run another 110 circuit for your other tools/lighting yadda yadda yadda. It would be more economical to two 110 circuits, but if you will be adding larger tools in the future it would be a shame to tear things up to install 220 properly (and you might end up with some redneck wiring depending on your frustration level). My first choice would be to install 3 circuits in the room:

1. 110 lighting
2. 110 light load tools
3. 220 medium tools

At the 65' distance from the panel to the shop, you might want to consider running a sub panel in the your shop area. That may end up saving you money (it will definitely save some frustration). Good luck. I'll be curious to see what you end up with.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks Andrew. I just helped a friend run some heavy wire out to his shop (he runs a couple big mills and lathes) and he gave me the old wire that he ran last year. So I ended up with 8 gauge 4 wire to run to the shop and a 100 amp subpanel to put in the shop. All thats left to buy is the wiring and outlets for inside the shop (and a new panel for the house, no empty spots for the new breaker :filth-n-foul: ).
I think in the end you're right, it probably doesnt make a big difference to a 3/4 hp motor on 65 feet of line. But it wont be difficult to set it up on 220, so I might as well do it right.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Go to 220 whenever you can.

My table saw motor is an industrial 1.5 horse 110/220. On 110, it dimmed the lights and pulled huge amps just running.

Switched to the 220 configuration, it runs on something like 4 amps a side, so it's drawing less, and has no tendency to heating up or to stalling.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

On any tool that is going to see heavy startup or running load, and where I have the option, I use 220. Its much more efficient in terms of energy loss over long runs and conversion to heat. It's also less stressful on your circuit breakers, wiring, and anything else that might be on that circuit.

But, I'm into overkill. I like to put each piece of 220V equipment on their own dedicated circuit. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

Geez Kurt. Them must be some happy tools :D

If you've got the choice I would definitely run 220v. You've already got half the battle taken care of with a sub-panel for the shop, so go for the 220. You won't regret it.