Just sharing...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Just sharing...

Post by billiard »

Wasn't going to post this one, not my usual reasons of that I am just occasionally drinking beers with my dog and having some fun in the garage but because of all the pain this pipe caused me.

When I was doing the last bits of my rustication I somehow or other jabbed the stummel in the worst of spots: right on the shank face, on the edge, so there was what appeared to be a little chunk of briar missing right at the stem shank junction.

I eventually bit the bullet and refaced the shank just enough to get past my rustic spot, shortened my tenon equally, rechamfered the tenon end, sanded the junction anew, and it came out ok.

A lot of work for a pipe that I personally like a lot but I am sure will be hit or miss on folks love meter. It sold within a couple hours off of my site last night so I guess in the end it was worth it but that's probably more to my pricing.

Anyhow, here it is (block and rod from pme):

Once again that's enough outta me and back to lurk mode I go until my work/wife/kids let me out in the garage again.

Cheers all,
Bill

Edit to add:
- 4.75" long
- 1.75" tall
- Bowl is .75" X 1.5"
- 46g
- airway is 5/32"
Ocelot55

Re: Just sharing...

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's how you make lemonade out of lemons! Nice pipe. It has a lot of character.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Ocelot55 wrote:That's how you make lemonade out of lemons! Nice pipe. It has a lot of character.
Hey, thanks much :)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty cool save, billiard. Nice tight transition from stem to shank despite having to reface. That can be a pain without the right tools.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

wdteipen wrote:Pretty cool save, billiard. Nice tight transition from stem to shank despite having to reface. That can be a pain without the right tools.
Thanks Wayne. Nothing but the finest tools for me sir, I used actual 3M brand Duct tape to hold the sand paper to my desktop :)
andrew

Post by andrew »

3m is the good stuff.

I like this one. I developed a soft spot for rustication after my last pipe. It has a significant place in pipe culture.