Glue / Epoxy

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
magruder

Glue / Epoxy

Post by magruder »

Hi Guys,
What types and brands of glue/epoxy do you use to attach
a wood ferrule to a vulcanite ring?
I was given a decent Karl Erik Extravagant Horn to repair
for a friend.
Thanx much,
Magruder
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Magruder,

I use Devcon 5 minute epoxy. I think I got mine at Lowe's or maybe Wal-Mart. It works great. It comes in a two chamber syringe.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

I started by using the Devcon syringe mixture that Bryan advocates, but I found that it didn't hold as strong bond as the brand I use now. I can't remember the brand name, but it comes in two bottles. If I am correct, the bottles each hold approximately 4 oz. As for the Devcon epoxy, if Bryan says it works for him, I'm sure that it does. It may have been inexperience, poor surface preparation, incorrect proportions (despite the syringe's "equal" portions), or any other number of things. However, I did find that when I switched to the other brand that I had better results. Although, it may be important to take the method of dispensing the parts of the epoxy that was the problem and not the chemicals.

Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I have only used the Devcon stuff like two or three times, I would definately take Jeff's experiences with Devcon into account. Jeff has much more experience in the pipe making arena, than myself.

Jeff,
I would really like to know the name of the stuff you are using. If you could find out and let us know, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Jeff, how exactly did you test the bond? I mean did the inlay break off? What was your stress test?