Pipe makers Taig lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Nank Brown

Pipe makers Taig lathe

Post by Nank Brown »

Hey guys, just ran across the pipe makers lathe that carter tools offers....... the taig just seems like a good little machine. Is this setup worth the few hundred dollar investment? Also, Enco is having a sale on their 9X20 bench lathe, its under a grand until the end of march I think, what would be the better choice? or both?
Spes mea in deo est
Sasquatch

Re: Pipe makers Taig lathe

Post by Sasquatch »

Taigs are really small. If you can get a 9x20 that will serve you far better for far more purposes. I'm thinking the guys who use taigs are using them for very specific purposes like cutting metal rings etc.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The Taig is a good lathe for cutting tenons on stems and working on smaller objects like rings, etc. Don't expect to get much stummel work done with it.

I had an Enco once. It was used when I bought it from a gunsmith, and it was a total piece of crap. Buying new, it might be OK for a while, but a Jet 9 x 20 is a much better lathe. Even though they look the same and are made in the same factory, they are totally different lathes as far as quality. They're made to different specs, and they act like it.

Rad

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have a Taig, and I just bought a Jet 9x20 from Enco. (I caught it for $1039. PM me for details...it's still available at this price I think.) If you can reach that far, I think the Jet is the way to go. I should go take a picture of the two lathes side by side. It's pretty funny. The Taig can almost fit in a shoe box. The Jet is no giant, but it's big enough to make pipes, and it absolutely dwarfs the Taig.

Fair warning: with any lathe purchase, you'll drop several hundred more on tooling.

Tyler
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto what Tyler said. The tooling for me is worth about the same as the lathe. :roll:
andrew

Post by andrew »

Getting the lathe in your shop is about 30% of the journey to making it a truly useful tool. The tooling can be a bear.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I'm in agreement on purchasing the bigger lathe. You'll be much happier in the end. As said, I would opt for a Jet if you can get it priced right.

I had a Craftsman 6x18 and while it was capable, even being much bigger than the Taig, it has it's draw backs. So the saying is true here. "Bigger Is Better"

I picked up my older Jet (But barely used) with the factory stand and all the original tooling, as well as a QCTP, 3 jaw self centering chuck, box full of HSS blanks (Many already shaped) Live center and 5/8" jacobs chuck on craigslist and paid $600.

The guys are right about the tooling. You'll spend as much or more on pipe making tooling as you will on the lathe. Having a mini mill and being able to make some of my own tooling has made a big difference for me though.

Short Version: Go for the bigger lathe, you won't be sorry you did. :)
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Nank Brown

Post by Nank Brown »

Hey gents! Thanks for the comments, and methinks I will go with a larger lathe, looking down the road it is the better choice!!!

Nank
Spes mea in deo est