The 7th pipe I made, Long Shank Pot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

The 7th pipe I made, Long Shank Pot

Post by pzhan »

This is the 7th pipe I made, a Long Shank Pot.

bregolad

Re: The 7th pipe I made, Long Shank Pot

Post by bregolad »

It looks great! I'd go ahead and stain the shank face, then do a quick countersink to keep it from running into the mortise.

also, it would look a little more cohesive if you pinched the bowl/shank junction a little.

great work
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

bregolad wrote:It looks great! I'd go ahead and stain the shank face, then do a quick countersink to keep it from running into the mortise.

also, it would look a little more cohesive if you pinched the bowl/shank junction a little.

great work
thanks for the tips, i always have issues with the shank face.
i don't know how to sand, stain and polish it without damaging the right angle.
i saw some pipemakers did great job at the shank face, i just wonder how they do it. :?:
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

stain it the same way as the rest of the pipe, then take a 500 or 600 grit sandpaper and lay it on something perfectly flat, like a granite counter top, etc. Then drag it across carefully, making sure all the shank face is contact. It will give it the same coloring as the rest of the pipe, and smoother than just the lathe turning or forstner bit.

Some people get a really polished shank face, and they must have some tricks up their sleeve that I don't know.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

That's a good tip.

My problem is that after spending an hour or two screwing with it to get the fit perfect (or a close approximation) I am too scared to touch it with anything except maybe a black marker.

Todd
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

taharris wrote:That's a good tip.

My problem is that after spending an hour or two screwing with it to get the fit perfect (or a close approximation) I am too scared to touch it with anything except maybe a black marker.

Todd
Yes, I have the same feeling.
If I sand the face with sandpaper, it most likely I would mess up the perfect right angle. :shock: