Jet 920BD Metal Lathe - Opinions on Price

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
indigosmoke

Jet 920BD Metal Lathe - Opinions on Price

Post by indigosmoke »

Jet 920 BD Metal lathe. Quick Change Tool Post, 4 jaw chuck, drill chuck, follower rest, custom plinth riser block.
$900 cash

This just turned up on my local Craigslist. I was wondering if this seems like a good deal or what a fair offer for this would be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Alden

Re: Jet 920BD Metal Lathe - Opinions on Price

Post by Alden »

indigosmoke wrote:Jet 920 BD Metal lathe. Quick Change Tool Post, 4 jaw chuck, drill chuck, follower rest, custom plinth riser block.
$900 cash

This just turned up on my local Craigslist. I was wondering if this seems like a good deal or what a fair offer for this would be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
In my area thats an ok price. I think I paid $800 for mine with an additional 3 jaw chuck and some assorted extras. One thing I will tell you for sure if you spend much time thinking about a used lathe, it will be sold out from under you.
I think someone posted about a new 920 for $1100 recently, so about $300-$400 difference for new with shipping and extras.
indigosmoke

Post by indigosmoke »

Thanks for replying. I've been a lurker here for a couple of years but haven't posted. I've learned so much from all of you here. I've been using a Taig for tenons, but I've been looking to move up to something like the Jet. If it's still there I'll probably check it out in the morning. The cash is safe in the bank until then anyway. If anyone else has an opinion or anything else they'd like to add I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, Edward.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

indigosmoke wrote:Jet 920 BD Metal lathe. Quick Change Tool Post, 4 jaw chuck, drill chuck, follower rest, custom plinth riser block.
$900 cash

Just paid about $1300 for all that new, save the plinth, which isn't really necessary for pipe making.
indigosmoke

Post by indigosmoke »

Thanks for replying Tyler. What other tooling have you picked up for the lathe? Just curious what I might be getting into,
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

indigosmoke wrote:Thanks for replying Tyler. What other tooling have you picked up for the lathe? Just curious what I might be getting into,

Hmmm. A good amount more. (BTW, my first number included shipping.)

Additionally, I got some turning blanks and a set of indexable cutters. Don't really need the indexable ones, and the blanks are cheap...$1.55 ea. or so. You could use the four jaw to hold briar, but it would stink. At the least you'd want custom jaws for $200-ish. For a new chuck customized for pipe making, $375 minimum.

You probably have all the bits you need since you have a Taig. I dunno, maybe you don't need much after all...mainly a chuck.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

You'll probably want a 3 jaw chuck to make stems with, unless you just want to use the taig. The tool blanks aren't much. Anything beyond that is just nice to have, but not necessary. Assuming it's not beat up, $900 is a good price, but I'd still offer him $800 and see what he says.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:You'll probably want a 3 jaw chuck to make stems with, unless you just want to use the taig. The tool blanks aren't much. Anything beyond that is just nice to have, but not necessary. Assuming it's not beat up, $900 is a good price, but I'd still offer him $800 and see what he says.
Yeah, gosh...I didn't notice it didn't have a three jaw. Coming from a Taig myself, I would definitely be disappointed to have the Jet but still have to use the Taig for stems.
indigosmoke

Post by indigosmoke »

Thanks guys! This is just the info I needed. I'll check it out tomorrow if it's still available. I'd probably be selling the Taig if I go this route, so I'd need to tool up to do my stems on the new lathe. If I pick it up I promise to use the search function and not pester you all with endless questions on chucks, etc. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I really appreciate your time, fellows.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:You'll probably want a 3 jaw chuck to make stems with, unless you just want to use the taig.
Why is this? I've used my 4 jaw to make stems for years.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:
e Markle wrote:You'll probably want a 3 jaw chuck to make stems with, unless you just want to use the taig.

Rad
I'm assuming that 4 jaw was the independent that comes with the unit - do you use that to make stems? If so, I think you're crazy!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:

Rad
Yer' doing it wrong.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Okay, den. My 4 jaw is self centering. I've never used a chuck with independent jaws.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yer still doin' it wrong. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:Yer still doin' it wrong. :lol:
Yeah, a real pro only needs a 1 jaw for stems. Four is WAY too many.