shimming a tailstock

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
andrew

shimming a tailstock

Post by andrew »

So, what kinds of things have you used to shim a tailstock? It just so happens my tailstock needed 15 thou of shim and my trusty coke cans run almost exactly 5 thou. One coke can later and hopefully my tailstock will be back and running level (or close enough).
e Markle

Re: shimming a tailstock

Post by e Markle »

This terrifies me. What kind of lathe are you using?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I shimmed my tailstock with a single piece of that high temperature aluminum tape they use on ducting. So.... I fixed mine with duct tape. :oops:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Sasquatch wrote:I shimmed my tailstock with a single piece of that high temperature aluminum tape they use on ducting. So.... I fixed mine with duct tape. :oops:
Metal tape has helped me a time or two as well.
andrew

Post by andrew »

So far things are good (I haven't snapped off drill bits or anything). I'll know if the alignment issue is solved tomorrow afternoon. Everything measures in just fine, but we'll see what happens when some real pressure gets put to it. Might just blow up, might not, I'll risk it. My lathe is an old Atlas, so I think the bed and tailstock are just worn down.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sasquatch wrote:I shimmed my tailstock with a single piece of that high temperature aluminum tape they use on ducting. So.... I fixed mine with duct tape. :oops:
Duct tape was invented by geniuses that traveled back in time from at least 1,000 years in the future. It's true, because honestly, can you think of anything that cool invented lately?

I'm sorry, the Prius/volt don't count, they don't even count as cars. They're more like a fashion accessory, like a shiny hair clip.
andrew

Post by andrew »

e Markle wrote:This terrifies me. What kind of lathe are you using?
It's an old Atlas. Think of one of those old farm trucks, the ones that keep running and no one understands why or how... that's my lathe. I like it, it works. Someday it will fail me, but today is not that day! Once it goes I'll be forced to find some Precision Matthews piece of crap to replace it :lol:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

andrew wrote:I'm sorry, the Prius/volt don't count, they don't even count as cars. They're more like a fashion accessory, like a shiny hair clip.
Hey, I drive a Prius and I'm from the future.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Brass shims. Got 4 rolls of the stuff in different thicknesses when I had to shim mine.
Now I have pretty much, yep, 4 rolls minus bits left. Cost me a fortune. Should have thought of coke cans!