Natural Plateaux Horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Natural Plateaux Horn

Post by Growley »

This was my first horn. I started it quite a while back, but didn't have the skill needed to complete the vision I had in my head.

Having run completely out of briar recently, I started digging through my "junk pile" and decided to give the horn another go. This time it only took a few hours to complete exactly what I had envisioned.

I wanted something sleek and elegant with a shape that highlighted the wonderful grain this block had to offer. I wanted to contrast that sleekness with the rough nature of the plateaux. This block provided me just the curve I needed.

I believe, if I had a stamp this would be my first official "Growley" pipe, not because I think it's the best pipe I've made, but because I'm completely happy with how it turned out.

Take a look and see what you think.

As always, thanks for looking.

Brian.
maxmil

Re: Natural Plateaux Horn

Post by maxmil »

Very nice, I'm just projecting a Horn, to produce it within a few days.
Best regards.
Félix

Muy bonita; precisamente estoy proyectando una Horn, para elaborarla dentro de unos días.
Saludos.
Félix
Growley

Post by Growley »

maxmil wrote:Very nice, I'm just projecting a Horn, to produce it within a few days.
Best regards.
Félix

Muy bonita; precisamente estoy proyectando una Horn, para elaborarla dentro de unos días.
Saludos.
Félix
Thanks Felix. Make sure to post some pics of your's when it's done. I look forward to seeing it.

Brian.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Brian, that's a nice looking horn. There are however, several things that bother me. First the rim of the pipe looks off. You have it extremely beveled, a little too much for my taste. Also the rim is not a consistent thickness all the way around. I would have also put a very subtle bend to the stem.

There is a lot more to like about this pipe than to dislike. The stem/shank junction looks good, I love the natural plateau on the front, and the profile of the pipe looks great. A half saddle stem was the perfect choice. Or at least that's my 2 cents.

Great job overall. I hope you get some more briar soon. I can't wait to see what else you'll create.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Ocelot55 wrote:Brian, that's a nice looking horn. There are however, several things that bother me. First the rim of the pipe looks off. You have it extremely beveled, a little too much for my taste. Also the rim is not a consistent thickness all the way around. I would have also put a very subtle bend to the stem.

There is a lot more to like about this pipe than to dislike. The stem/shank junction looks good, I love the natural plateau on the front, and the profile of the pipe looks great. A half saddle stem was the perfect choice. Or at least that's my 2 cents.

Great job overall. I hope you get some more briar soon. I can't wait to see what else you'll create.
Thanks. I agree, the rim is not symmetrical. In this case I would call it "weighted" I weighted it more heavily towards the front on purpose. It's hard to get the feel of this pipe from pictures, but the whole thing is weighted to the front of the pipe (furthest part from the stem).

The bevel was created as such to match the bell of the "horn" I had in my head, in this case a trumpet. (played trumpet for over 10 years, so when I think horn, I naturally think brass, not ox.

The stem curve...the one thing I am still a little undecided about. I think it could look good with a little bend, but I really like it as is as well.

Thanks for the critique. I appreciate it. I also look forward to hearing other's comments as well to see if this is a design that works or one that fails. In my head it works...but if you take what's in my head and add 5 cents...all you've got is about 5 cents. :wink:

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Brian, I've never really been a big fan of the horn shape so take that into consideration with my critique. I like the idea of the plateaux but think it would work better if it started from the shank and followed all the way up to the rim. That way, leaving the bowl heavy on that side would have more of a purpose. You could still trumpet the bowl but flare it towards the plateaux sort of like a sea slug. I also think the bowl could cant forward more gracefully. Lastly, the half saddle looks like it could be cut deeper and more crisply and I agree that the stem would look better with a slight, graceful bend. Nice work overall.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

If that was in your junk pile, I want to come dig thru it myself.

I like the look of the pipe and the grain works well with the shape. I am not too sure about the bottom though, I think it would probably look better all smooth, but, it's not my pipe so take that as just my opinion and not really a critique.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Growley

Post by Growley »

smokindawg wrote:If that was in your junk pile, I want to come dig thru it myself.

I like the look of the pipe and the grain works well with the shape. I am not too sure about the bottom though, I think it would probably look better all smooth, but, it's not my pipe so take that as just my opinion and not really a critique.
Yeah, totally smooth...or totally rough would have been better. With the shape of the block I started with, I was really hoping to make the bottom completely rough all the way to the bowl, but the way the line I wanted ended up working out, I had to take most of the rough off.

If I were a bit more of a perfectionist I might go at the bottom again, take off all the rough and the weighted bowl and make it maybe more of a sleek horn. But I like making new pipes more I think. This one will have to remain unchanged.

Thanks for the comments. Come by any time and dig through my junk :D Most of it really is junk though.
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello,
i like the grain and the shape.
good work.
Greetings Tommi
my English is bad