Freehand churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
The Smoking Yeti

Freehand churchwarden

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Measures around ten inches in length- which is to my knowledge a churchwarden
bowl width- 3/4"
bowl depth- 1 5/8"

Click the thumbnails to view the larger image.

thoughts?

Last edited by The Smoking Yeti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Ocelot55

Re: Freehand churchwarden

Post by Ocelot55 »

How many pipes does this make for you? Seriously, this is a nice piece of work. The extension transitions look good; the stain and finish really bring out the grain. I had to search for something to critique on.

To me, and this is a personal opinion, your symmetry could be a bit better. With a freehand we're usually granted a bit of leeway in the symmetry department, but I've always thought that symmetry is essential. It's also a very difficult area to master. Look at the bottom of the pipe. One of the shank lines extends further than the other. There is also a slight bulge in the shank.

Overall, very good. And a lot more symmetrical than some of my pipes! :oops: I can't wait to see another.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

This is my sixth pipe- and thanks for the mention on symmetry- I see what your saying for sure. I feel like symmetry in the bowl area needs leeway cus' the plateaux is not even, but your right about the bulge- subtle, but its there. I'll pay more heed to my symmetry on my next pipe :P
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

It was very well; for me is a Dublin.
Best regards.
Félix

Quedó muy bien; para mí es una Dublín.
Saludos.
Félix