1st Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Silverspur81

1st Billiard

Post by Silverspur81 »

Interested in getting some feed back on this design before I stain and finish.
[img]http://i1053.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img]
Growley

Re: 1st Billiard

Post by Growley »

This is a good start for your 1st billiard. Great idea getting advice "before" finishing it :D It's never as fun making changes after it's stained and polished.

The very first thing that I see is top of your bowl. It makes it look like it's tilted slightly back towards you stem. You want your bowl to cant forward about 3 - 5 degrees. Here it looks like your bowl actually may tilt forward, but your top doesn't. That should be a somewhat easy fix, just sand the top to match the cant of your bowl. If the bowls is a true 90 degrees from your stem it will appear to tilt backwards actually.

The second thing I see (and this could be fine the way it it is) is the taper of your stem. Yours has a curved taper where as a flat straight taper might look better. Not totally sure on that piece of advice though.

Lastly, your bottom line of the stummel doesn't look completely flat making the front bottom of the bowl (farthest part away from the stem) look like it's drooping slightly. If you sit your stummel down on a flat surface you shouldn't be able to see any gaps under it.

Your dimensions look pretty good. The stem/shank junction look great and overall I think this will turn out well.

Nice work.

Wait for some better feedback before you go making any changes though :wink:

Brian.
Silverspur81

Post by Silverspur81 »

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I needed to take more wood from under the bowl so you comments make alot of since. The top of the bowl should be an easy fix.

Thanks
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Growley hit the nail on the head. I would only add that you may want to thin the button a bit.

It was a great idea to get advice before finishing this one. Overall its looking pretty sweet. Billiards are actually kind of tricky. It look like you got this one basically right excluding a few minor details.

Good Job. I can't wait to see it when its done.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Not bad! the shank pinches a little bit before the stem/stummel junction. You have a tapered shank, then it broadens at the junction before tapering again. I have trouble with that too. try to put a straight edge on top if the shank. That will show you where more material has to be removed. The same is true on the bottom. A straight edge will reveal the bulge of the bowl below the shank line. Those are easy corrections at this point in the pipe. There are other things that are off, like the bowl/shank/stem ratio is a tad off but that cant be easily corrected now that the stem is basically finished. tackle those next pipe. Tailor the taper a bit and you will have a pretty nice first billiard!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Brian's assessment although the bowl doesn't appear to cant forward to me. Nothing you can really do about that. You are limited on what you can do with the stem taper since it's a preformed stem.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Silverspur81

Post by Silverspur81 »

Here is what it looks like after finishing.
[img]http://i1053.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img]
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well, I wish we had a few more photos, but that looks great, especially for a first billiard. There are several VERY small details that stick out, but for now I'm going to hold my tongue. I don't need to be that picky yet. Great job. That's a much better looking billiard than most of the machine turned crap you see in the bargain bin. :thumbsup:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

A very decent attempt to be sure.

The whole thing's a little long for the height of the bowl, and there's a little eccentricity in the shank, but you got the "fat" off the bottom line real well and got a real good bowl shape to boot. Good stuff.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice first billiard. Shank is a touch long and a touch fat. Otherwise it looks damn good for a first. Good job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com