Cutting the V slot

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
wdteipen

Cutting the V slot

Post by wdteipen »

I'm working on this stem made from clear acrylic. I thought it would be a great opportunity to show what a proper V slot should look like for aspiring pipemakers. This one still needs a little filing and buffing but you can get the gist of it. As you can see, the tenon end is drilled with a 5/32" tapered bit then finished with a 1/16" bit. There is more than one way to cut the slot from here. The method I use is to use the Dremel cutter that most use to cut a guide for the slot over top of the 1/16" hole. I then use a 3/64" drill bit in a rotary tool to gently widen the slot further. The problem I have with stopping here is that I find that the drill bit leaves a slot that curves inward leaving the airway pinched. I like to take my modified jigsaw blade (aka prison shank) and straighten and deepen the sides. Hope this helps someone.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Re: Cutting the V slot

Post by andrew »

I've noticed the same thing with the pinched airway. Doesn't seem to affect things too much smoking-wise, but it bugs me. It's a chance for quite a few undesirable things.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

"modified jigsaw blade". i'd been trying to think of a way to cut that better, and it's something i can make easy.
great idea :D thank you.
taharris

Post by taharris »

So, which part of this process involves cutting your finger to the bone? :P

Just kidding...sorry to hear about your finger Wayne. I hope it heals quickly.

Todd
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

taharris wrote:So, which part of this process involves cutting your finger to the bone? :P

Just kidding...sorry to hear about your finger Wayne. I hope it heals quickly.

Todd

This part and on this stem actually:
I like to take my modified jigsaw blade (aka prison shank) and straighten and deepen the sides.
:lol:
Wayne Teipen
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

Just finished making myself a "prison shank". I figure i'm bound to stab myself with it eventually so I used a hacksaw blade so i could point the teeth away from me.

Thanks again for the idea :)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

AaronC wrote:Just finished making myself a "prison shank". I figure i'm bound to stab myself with it eventually so I used a hacksaw blade so i could point the teeth away from me.

You're gonna wish that was longer before hitting the handle.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

Tyler wrote:
AaronC wrote:Just finished making myself a "prison shank". I figure i'm bound to stab myself with it eventually so I used a hacksaw blade so i could point the teeth away from me.

Ah ok, i have another 4 or 5 inches back that i can grind down. thanks for the heads up. i'll grind back some more. I can also tell i may need to make a couple more with less teeth.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

AaronC wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Ah ok, i have another 4 or 5 inches back that i can grind down. thanks for the heads up. i'll grind back some more. I can also tell i may need to make a couple more with less teeth.
Ah, good.

Wait and see if I'm right. I could be off on the scale of things.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Most of us don't slot it all the way to the tenon, Tyler. But if that's your trademark, I guess I can't laugh. (My trademark is wobbly shaping and sanding scratches).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:Most of us don't slot it all the way to the tenon, Tyler. But if that's your trademark, I guess I can't laugh. (My trademark is wobbly shaping and sanding scratches).

I definitely slot all the way to the tenon. That is the one thing I thought when I saw Wayne's clear stem...wow, I do a lot more "slotting" than that. I'd estimate the slots I make are twice as wide as Wayne's, for almost the full length of the stem.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:

I definitely slot all the way to the tenon. That is the one thing I thought when I saw Wayne's clear stem...wow, I do a lot more "slotting" than that. I'd estimate the slots I make are twice as wide as Wayne's, for almost the full length of the stem.
Yes, this make for a nice open draw. :lol:

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Rad wrote:
Tyler wrote:I definitely slot all the way to the tenon. That is the one thing I thought when I saw Wayne's clear stem...wow, I do a lot more "slotting" than that. I'd estimate the slots I make are twice as wide as Wayne's, for almost the full length of the stem.
Yes, this make for a nice open draw. :lol:

Rad
Why's that funny?

:twak:

I've always wanted to use that emoticon. Bonus: it was on Rad! :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

This stem was actually about an inch longer so I cut that much of the slot off. I slot mine pretty deep these days too; especially if the stem is anything other than a standard taper.
Wayne Teipen
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:

I think you'll want a more aggressive blade. I think I use like 12 TPI so it really bites.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think you guys are all fucked in the head for not using a $1.25 X-acto saw and an oval needle file.

Oh, and dremel part no 16471, no longer produced. They're sweet too.

But do as you please.

Hope this helps.

Todd
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

Sasquatch wrote:I think you guys are all fucked in the head for not using a $1.25 X-acto saw and an oval needle file.

But do as you please.

Hope this helps.

Todd
well, i work in an auto parts store so i can get the hack saw blades for about 75 cents a piece, but yes you're right... i am fucked in the head, and then some. :lol:
e Markle wrote:
I think you'll want a more aggressive blade. I think I use like 12 TPI so it really bites.
The blade i used in the picture was a 32 tpi. I do have an 18 tpi also. I'm hopeful that 18 will work ok, because i cant find any hacksaw blades with 12.

Thank You!

Aaron
Growley

Post by Growley »

Sasquatch wrote:I think you guys are all "not right" in the head for not using a $1.25 X-acto saw and an oval needle file.

But do as you please.

Hope this helps.

Todd
I just got my X-acto blades in from Amazon today. I'm pretty excited to give them a whirl. I'm going to have to look up that Dremel part number too and see if I can't find them on the black market somewhere.

Brian.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The X-acto saws are fantastic. Sharp, tiny, and just a wonderful shape/size.

That dremel part is really hard to find, but it amounts to a wire coated in 60 grit carbide. Super nice. The next one up, the 16472 is twice as thick, and I think it's too big, so don't be foo'd.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:I think you guys are all fucked in the head for not using a $1.25 X-acto saw and an oval needle file.

Todd
Give piece a chance dood, you just learnt us about them a few posts ago.