Favorite Tool

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Favorite Tool

Post by Tyler »

Always in sesarch of a better, more effecient way of doing things, I constantly have my eyes open for surprise tools. I cannot help it. As I walk through Linens and Things with my wife, I am looking for pipe tools! What could I use that iron for? That organizer might hold sandpaper. Etc.

So what is your favorite pipe making tool? What is your best "surprise" tool that aids in a particular part of the process?

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marks

Post by marks »

Since I drill my blocks on a drill press, my best surprise tool has to be the self centering vise I got from Harbor Freight (thanks to a tip from Kirk Bosi on another board). It is not a true drill press vice, so I had to make a plate on which I attached the vise, then I attached the plate to the drill press. The vise was inexpensive, and it works extremely well. I made the plate from two 5/8 inch pieces of scrap plywood, glued together, then pressed under about 200 pounds or so of cinder blocks and bricks overnight.

As long as the briar blocks are square, the draft hole comes into the bowl dead center with no fuss.
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Yes the self centering vise is a time saver. I would also say that my ShopSmith is a great tool also.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Do you guys have a link to the self centering vice? I'd be interested in seeing one.

Thanks,

NJ
marks

Post by marks »

Nick, the self centering vise is at harbor freight tools. I don't have a link, but I got the 3 inch self centering vise. I think it was around $40 (yes, I was shocked it was so cheap). Once you get to harbor freight tools site, just do a search for the vise. If you have trouble, put a post here, and I will try to find it again.

Random, chainsaw files are something that I had not thought of before. Thanks for the tip!!!
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

A quick FYI - Harbor tools (http://www.harborfreight.com/) no longer stocks the 3 or 4 inch self-centering vises... :evil:

I know this because I ordered one and got a little postcard in the mail saying that they no longer stock them.. So i ordered the 2 inch one simply because it was 15 dollars and though i would give it a try...

I'll have it this week, so I'll let you know how I fare...
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Random,

Please let me know if you want to get rid of it... I'll gladly pay full retail and shipping, of course...