Two New Pipes I made. #009, #010

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

Two New Pipes I made. #009, #010

Post by pzhan »

Have been busy in the past few weeks. so didn't get much time for pipe making.
And finally I got some time, and finished these two. These two will be gifts for my friends in Beijing, whom I will visit next week.
Hope they will like them. :P

#009 Chubby Billard

#010 Chubby Blowfish/Crossgrain
K.Anastasopoulos

Re: Two New Pipes I made. #009, #010

Post by K.Anastasopoulos »

I like very much the second one, but I think that needs more fine sanding.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, overall very good, but there are a few things I noticed that might be addressed. On the chubby billiard I think a little more material could come off the bowl/shank junction. Also, there are so many pits in the briar I probably would have rusticated it or stained it darker.

On the blowfish: Wow, you really nailed the shaping on this one. Absolutely beautiful curves and flow. However, why did you stain this one so dark? Was there a flaw in the briar? A pipe that well shaped needs to show off some grain! I would sand it down and give it a nice contrast stain. Other than that, I think this pipe is my favorite of yours yet.
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Ocelot55 wrote:Ok, overall very good, but there are a few things I noticed that might be addressed. On the chubby billiard I think a little more material could come off the bowl/shank junction. Also, there are so many pits in the briar I probably would have rusticated it or stained it darker.

On the blowfish: Wow, you really nailed the shaping on this one. Absolutely beautiful curves and flow. However, why did you stain this one so dark? Was there a flaw in the briar? A pipe that well shaped needs to show off some grain! I would sand it down and give it a nice contrast stain. Other than that, I think this pipe is my favorite of yours yet.
thanks for sharing your point of view.
for the first one, yes, there are many pits on the briar, but besides the pits, the grains looks good. I would sandblast it if I have a sandblasting gear. :P

The blowfish, the stain is not that dark actually. the photo didn't do the justice. :shock:
anyway, the briar do have a few pits, and one of them is sizable. so... you know the story...

i am happy you like the shape. i was a little nervous when i making it, and am happy it turn out ok. :D
Growley

Post by Growley »

I really like the second. To me it almost looks like it's from a different carver, meaning I feel like you stepped up your abilities with that one. I would still suggest getting away from the Black and Yellow stain (if that's what you're using). At least, not if both are alcohol based. I've heard alcohol based black and water based yellow work well, but I've never tried it. I've also heard the darkest brown you can find will give you a nice effect without turning the yellow green.

Nice work on the second pipe's stem too.

Brian.
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Growley wrote:I really like the second. To me it almost looks like it's from a different carver, meaning I feel like you stepped up your abilities with that one. I would still suggest getting away from the Black and Yellow stain (if that's what you're using). At least, not if both are alcohol based. I've heard alcohol based black and water based yellow work well, but I've never tried it. I've also heard the darkest brown you can find will give you a nice effect without turning the yellow green.

Nice work on the second pipe's stem too.

Brian.
Thanks Brain. I like the second one too. :D
Yes, it was black and yellow stain. I find out that my black stain is not pure black, it has some blue in it. i think that is why the color turned greenish. I will maybe use dark brown as base instead in the future. and also I will try to find better quality stains.
The both stains are alcohol based, i really want to use water based yellow, but i can't get my hands on. the pipe making supplies are hard to find in China. :banghead:

Peter