Adapting an electric motor into a sander

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Adapting an electric motor into a sander

Post by Gershom »

Ok, I looked on the forum and could not find an explanation of how to dismantle an electric motor in order to turn it into a custom disc sander. Anyone have any tips to throw my way before I ruin a perfectly good electric motor?

It is off of an old Buffalo lathe, and runs like a champ, but I already have a Craftsman wood lathe, and am in need of a good disc shaper/sander.

Thanks in advance.
AaronC

Re: Adapting an electric motor into a sander

Post by AaronC »

I don't think you should need to dismantle the motor. You'll just need to figure out a way to adapt the shaft to fit whatever type of disc you are going to use. What size shaft does the motor have? Is it straight or tapered? Does the shaft have a keyway or use a setscrew? Does it rotate CW or CCW? Whats the speed of the motor? These are probably all things you'll want to consider.

The motor I'm using has a threaded arbor on it to allow me to use a threaded drill chuck on the end to hold a 6" Hook-it sanding pad. Is it the best set-up? Nope. But it is versatile, and it works for now.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Basically you just need slip a sleeve over the arbor. The sleeve can be tapped out on the end for your disk. I use the 3M hookit disk. It's threaded to screw on to the end of your arbor or sleeve. I think these guys have an attachment that might work. http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

Someone on this site also sells one if I remember right, but I can't remember who....

Brian.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Growley wrote:Basically you just need slip a sleeve over the arbor. The sleeve can be tapped out on the end for your disk. I use the 3M hookit disk. It's threaded to screw on to the end of your arbor or sleeve. I think these guys have an attachment that might work. http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

Someone on this site also sells one if I remember right, but I can't remember who....

Brian.

It is none other than our illustrious host, Kurt.
Chas.
Alden

Post by Alden »

oklahoma red wrote:

our illustrious host, Kurt.
How dare you call Kurt Illustrious... He suffers impure thoughts from time to time, but its no reason to go around making that kind of accusations, Sir.
Growley

Post by Growley »

oklahoma red wrote:
Growley wrote:Basically you just need slip a sleeve over the arbor. The sleeve can be tapped out on the end for your disk. I use the 3M hookit disk. It's threaded to screw on to the end of your arbor or sleeve. I think these guys have an attachment that might work. http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

Brian.

It is none other than our illustrious host, Kurt.
Chas.
Well, if it comes down to buying one from Kurt or Bealle, I'd get one from Kurt. I've read all over Bealle's site and nowhere on there does it say that they are Illustrious.

Definitely go with Kurt.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I found a chuck that mounted to a shaft at home depot or Ace or something, and then went from there.

You can find backers for fiber backed discs almost everywhere, and chuckable hook and loop pads in those same places. Fairly rudimentary set up, but it works well enough.

The only issue comes from the spin of the shaft. I had to reverse the wiring to get it to spin counterclockwise (I'm right handed).
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I can't seem to get the current wheel off of the shaft. I removed the threaded bolt holding it, but it seems to need a lot of pressure to actually come off. Any ideas?
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

Gershom wrote:I can't seem to get the current wheel off of the shaft. I removed the threaded bolt holding it, but it seems to need a lot of pressure to actually come off. Any ideas?
any chance of a picture?
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

This is the pulley wheel that I am trying to get off of the motor. The threaded nut is currently in it, but I took it out when I tried pulling the wheel off. I even used a wrecking bar and hammer, but I was unable to physically force the pulley system off.

I wonder if any of you guys have done this before.

Thanks for the words of advice.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You need a bearing puller, it grabs the pulley the puts pressure on the shaft in the centre, slowing forcing the two apart. Take it to your local friendly garage/mechanic and ask them if they can help, have some beers in the car. If they have the right equipment and the shaft isn't totally screwed then it should be a 2 min job for them.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

caskwith wrote:You need a bearing puller, it grabs the pulley the puts pressure on the shaft in the centre, slowing forcing the two apart. Take it to your local friendly garage/mechanic and ask them if they can help, have some beers in the car. If they have the right equipment and the shaft isn't totally screwed then it should be a 2 min job for them.
+1 :thumbsup: my thoughts exactly!
OregonCustom

Post by OregonCustom »

Apply heat... and a bearing puller.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....