Lastest pipe from a pimo kit

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sapo59

Lastest pipe from a pimo kit

Post by sapo59 »

I'm fairly happy on how this pipe turned out, still improving my techniques. I'd like the forums feedback. I really enjoy making pipes and want some honest opinions before I buy more tools to try to start doing complete pipes from scratch. Thanks in advance

Doug
e Markle

Re: Lastest pipe from a pimo kit

Post by e Markle »

Hi Doug,
Nothing in the world wrong with that pipe. If you want to make pipes more or less in line with artisanal makers' standards you'd want to shave quite a bit off at the shank bowl junction. You'll also want to make sure the stem/shank union is seamless. Just make it all nice and flush. You'll also notice some irregular taper in the stem itself that you would want to remove.

The more difficult things are the drooping line on the bottom of the shank and the proportion between the shank and the bowl. Both can be tough to learn, but you'll get there if you want to. Good luck.
wdteipen

Re: Lastest pipe from a pimo kit

Post by wdteipen »

Fun isn't it?

I agree with Ernie. There's a lot more briar that needs to come off if your aim is for a professional appearing pipe but what you've made appears to be a perfectly functional pipe. My best advice to you is to find a photo of a pipe you like and would like to attempt to make and try to duplicate it. It's one of the best ways to learn to "see" what needs to happen in your shaping. What you've made is a pretty typical looking first or early attempt at pipemaking.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com