Another new member!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Ironpenny

Another new member!

Post by Ironpenny »

Hi all,

I've been an offline lurker for some time now and I thought that it would be a good idea to harass Kurt for access and finally say hello.

The introduction:

I haven't been a pipe smoker for very long now (only about a year), and as I'm sure is very common, I picked up the habit after kicking the much more unhealthy habit of cigarette smoking. I live in Edmonton, Alberta in Canada and unfortunately there is not much of a retail pipe presence here in the city to speak of. There is however, one shop which specializes in fine cigars and pipes and has a decent high-end collection. The first pipe I bought was a pretty decent Lorenzetti after which the shop owner clapped me on the back and welcomed me to the "fellowship". What a welcome! I've been hooked ever since. My next was a pretty decent Dunhill Rubybark which was hard to beat for a couple months until I picked up my Winslow 09 pipe of the year.

Needless to say, I've been enjoying all 3 immensely.

My neighbor and I were in the pipe store one day back in Febuary and, low and behold, there were a couple of pipe kits sitting on the counter in preparation for a local IPSD carving competition. Now, I had never considered making my own before, but looking at the blocks with their rough-cut, unbent stems immediately gave me several ideas. I figured, what the heck ... why not?

It would be about 3 weeks before I finished my first pipe. A week of constant research through these forums and through sites like Stephen Downie's for the proper tools, the best techniques, etc. etc. etc. It was probably the funnest 3 weeks of my life. A period of time where I enjoyed the creation of something unique that was taking shape because of my own will. Sappy, I know!

I immediately rushed back to the store, and while the contest wasn't nearly complete, I turned in my first pipe and bought a couple more kits. My second pipe took me 3 days, the tools and basic research behind me. The third took me about a week after that.

I ending up winning the competition for the second pipe, but to me, the real excitement was in the discovery of a new hobby ... something I hope to enjoy for a long time.

So, anyway. I would like to say hello and add that I love the fact that the professionals here are willing to part with some of their hard-earned knowledge!

Pipes are below ... I'd love some critique.

Take care,
Chris J. Hittinger

Pipe 1:

Pipe 2:

Pipe 3:

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Sasquatch

Re: Another new member!

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome aboard Chris.

General comments on all the pipes - you've got the idea of flowing lines, now you have to incorporate some sharper definition and add some visual interest to the pipes. Considering these are pipe kits, you've done very well.

There's a really, really, REALLY, REALLY famous pipe maker not too far south of you. He's kind of an asshole and he drinks a bit, and politically, he's basically incoherent, and his pipes are ugly, now that I think about it. But the invitation's open.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote: But the invitation's open.
Wow. Take that invitation if'n you knows whats good for you.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:Welcome aboard Chris.

General comments on all the pipes - you've got the idea of flowing lines, now you have to incorporate some sharper definition and add some visual interest to the pipes. Considering these are pipe kits, you've done very well.

There's a really, really, REALLY, REALLY famous pipe maker not too far south of you. He's kind of an asshole and he drinks a bit, and politically, he's basically incoherent, and his pipes are ugly, now that I think about it. But the invitation's open.
Who?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Why, it's me of course, you silly eGarble!

But I must apologize - I should have said really really REALLY REALLY REALLY extra super famous. Then you would have known right away.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

That's right. Everyone knows that Canadians are born really(1) extra super famous and just get better from there.
Sasquatch wrote:But the invitation's open.
More than interested in this. Your pipes are a credit to your skill and I always BMOB.

Thanks for the welcome!

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Sounds like an interesting competition; I wonder if that could work here in the Piedmont. It sure seems to have put you in touch with your inner sculptor. Nice work, your tenth should be fabulous.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

Hudson wrote:Sounds like an interesting competition; I wonder if that could work here in the Piedmont. It sure seems to have put you in touch with your inner sculptor. Nice work, your tenth should be fabulous.
Believe me, it was a very small competition, but it was fun for sure. I'll really appreciate the nice comments! I'm just itching to get to work on another one, but I've hit a snag with my first briar shipment being seized at the border.

Just practicing stem composition right now while I wait.

Chris
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ironpenny, you need to look at Kurt's post at getting the proper paperwork in case this happens again:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3125
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

welcome to the forum... and yea.. watch out for that SAS fella... he likes to pull out his crayons and draw on your pictures :shock:

james
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

I'll have to find the cooresponding permits for Canada.

I basically ordered a test shipment from Jaume ... only 4 blocks to see if I had the ability to engineer the stummel prior to a serious investment. I'm sure he shipped it as per numerous posts on small order shipping. Good customer relations, very personable, etc.

I'm pretty sure I just got the great Canadian hero of border protection. Saving the country from bugs, one block at a time.

After about a month of it sitting in customs, I got a letter stating that I had to provide a phytosanitary form or it would be either shipped back or destroyed. I messaged Jaume and he was able to send a copy via email. Great guy! Scan wasn't so good, but I sent it to the CFIA thinking that the problem was solved and they would release it shortly.

No dice. Now they want the original phytosanitary form to be sent from Spain. The hero strikes again.

So now I'm waiting for an answer from Jaume on whether he can (or will) send the form, or if he just want's to write off me and my 4 blocks and call it a day.

I wouldn't blame him.
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

jogilli wrote:welcome to the forum... and yea.. watch out for that SAS fella... he likes to pull out his crayons and draw on your pictures
Yeah, most of us Canadians are grumpy and irritable but a lot of us hide it well. It's nice to meet one that's like me and doesn't bother. :filth-n-foul: