newest pipes.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

newest pipes.

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Hey guys, I just wanted to post the latest completed pipes. I've been busy so I thought i would just post them all at once just to show what I have been up to. I am in the process of trying to liquidate these to secure more supplies, as I have been destroying briar and rod stock in equal amounts. As always, critique away! i have been trying to improve my fit/finish as well as trying to nail down particular aspects of shaping. thanks again to the guys who always volunteer time and materials to us noobs. I would still carving ugly hunks of crap without the resources on this forum. (they still may be ugly, but I think i have moved past the hunk of crap phase) Again, sorry about the picture quality. I had built A light tent with lighting to get better results, but SOMEONE left the door open to the photo room and our new kitten shredded the entire thing while i was at work. You can tell by the button work what order the pipes were completed in. ugg!
Ocelot55

Re: newest pipes.

Post by Ocelot55 »

My favorite is #7. It looks well proportioned.

My only critique is to spend more time on the buttons. Some of them look pretty chunky.

Overall, good job!
LAH

Post by LAH »

I really dig #9. I agree with Ocelot about the buttons. Other than that I think it's just fine tuning here and there. What kind of wood is that on the shank of pipe #3, Red Palm?

Abe
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I realized when I received Andrew's pipe in the PITH that my buttons are obnoxiously huge and unnecessary. i have been trying to tame them on the last 2 or 3 pipes. the pipe with the palm extension measures .30" behind the button and .210 across the top of the button for height. some of those pictured are at least double that height. :oops:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

it is red palm. I had a few misfit stumels and stems laying around so i decided to try to rescue them from the scrap pile. 2 3 and 5 were scrap briar i had screwed up and tried to salvage.
LAH

Post by LAH »

It's always nice to be able to salvage a scrap stummel, I have a nice pile that I hope one day to salvage. Palm is a bugger to work with but very cool wood.

Abe
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I always try and get about 0.16" thick behind the button, ~0.28" tall, and ~0.08" on the button back to front.
Consistency is one of the marks of a practiced stem maker. Find something that you think is comfy, and then get exactly right every time.

Keep going with the classic shapes, they'll do right by you.

Good work.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Sorry, .130 behind the button. Not .30 that will make a difference. You are right, it's all about dialing the button size in. I am now making the in the normal human size range.