The hardest pipes...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

The hardest pipes...

Post by taharris »

Every once in a while you get an order for a really odd ball pipe. These are the ones that I find the hardest to do because I am not "sold" on the design.

This is one of those pipes. The order was for a 2" diameter Morta Tomato with a 3/4" bowl and a 10" bamboo stem and a black acrylic bit. I managed to talk him up to a 7/8" bowl.

I haven't weighed the pipe, but it is definitely not a "clencher". The up side is that you could use it as a club if you run out of tobacco.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Todd

Growley

Re: The hardest pipes...

Post by Growley »

I agree. It's hard to put your best into something that doesn't fit your style. I think you did a good job with the requirements. That tobacco chamber looks so small in that composition.

Looks like you did nice work though.

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree Todd which is why I won't do a commission that I don't feel fits my style or that doesn't interest me from a creative standpoint. It's nice to have the income and to make someone's dream pipe come true but at the same time I think if the parameters are too strict it stifles the creative energy of the artisan. My advice is to not be afraid to turn down a job if you aren't feeling it. It's a tough conversation to have especially if you're a people pleaser like I am. But, it's more important to stay true to yourself as an artist.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:I agree Todd which is why I won't do a commission that I don't feel fits my style or that doesn't interest me from a creative standpoint. It's nice to have the income and to make someone's dream pipe come true but at the same time I think if the parameters are too strict it stifles the creative energy of the artisan. My advice is to not be afraid to turn down a job if you aren't feeling it. It's a tough conversation to have especially if you're a people pleaser like I am. But, it's more important to stay true to yourself as an artist.
Well said, Wayne. I bet there are many who'd agree with you. Myself included. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
taharris

Post by taharris »

I agree, but only partly.

If you are artist who is in full command of his craft then what you say makes sense. Why spend time on a project that is not up to your creative potential when you
have many other customers beating down your door?

On the other hand, if you are a serious hobbyist and still learning your craft then an unusual pipe with unusual material can be a great challenge and learning experience.

Personally, I don't care much for bamboo stemmed pipes. No matter how artistically they are done, to my eye the bamboo just doesn't belong. However, I have certainly
become a better pipe maker because I have taken on a couple of projects that forced me to work with bamboo. By the way, drilling out a 10" stem is a real pain in the arse!

For example, I was asked to make a pipe with a raised panel down the front. I hated the idea, but now I know how to do a raised panel. It was a great exercise.

It was the same with Sas's Oom Paul competition. I hated Oom Pauls until I made and smoked one. Now I have a much better appreciation for them.

Maybe I've been in Corporate America too long. We never have "problems" we have "opportunities" :roll:

Todd
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

taharris wrote:I agree, but only partly.

If you are artist who is in full command of his craft then what you say makes sense. Why spend time on a project that is not up to your creative potential when you

On the other hand, if you are a serious hobbyist and still learning your craft then an unusual pipe with unusual material can be a great challenge and learning experience.

Personally, I don't care much for bamboo stemmed pipes. No matter how artistically they are done, to my eye the bamboo just doesn't belong. However, I have certainly
become a better pipe maker because I have taken on a couple of projects that forced me to work with bamboo. By the way, drilling out a 10" stem is a real pain in the arse!

For example, I was asked to make a pipe with a raised panel down the front. I hated the idea, but now I know how to do a raised panel. It was a great exercise.

It was the same with Sas's Oom Paul competition. I hated Oom Pauls until I made and smoked one. Now I have a much better appreciation for them.

Maybe I've been in Corporate America too long. We never have "problems" we have "opportunities" :roll:

Todd
I love this place. Different ideas shared freely and safely amongst the group. Your comments make a lot of sense to me, Todd. Reading conversations like this is extremely helpful for a newb like myself. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

taharris wrote:I agree, but only partly.

Todd
I hear what you're saying and it's certainly a valid approach to our craft. I can only speak for myself but I've taken on projects that my heart wasn't into and I think it was reflected in the end results. There's also the problem of "those pipes" that resurface once you're more established as a pipemaker that can haunt you. So much of a pipemaker's success is in the public's perception so it's wise to at least pay it some attention. Ideally, you'd like to think that your skill in your craft and quality of your work will speak for itself and to a certain extent it does. But the reality is it takes more than that. I've seen a fair number of excellent pipemaker's who have difficulty connecting with the public and managing their image and their sales reflect it. I've also seen some mediocre pipemaker's who make mediocre pipes that are great at public relations and managing their image that have huge followings. Food for thought and something to consider before taking on every commission that comes your way.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Wayne,

I agree. Perception and customer relations are very important. It's a fine line between taking on projects that stretch your skills and projects that exceed your skills.

Todd
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I think that's a great bit of work and you should be rightly proud of yourself.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thank you Chris.

That means a lot coming from you.

Todd