Looking for Lathes in all the wrong places?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

What do you guys think about this lathe? Good for pipe making? Or should I wait till the right one comes along?

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/tls/2922856663.html

Thanks!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Looking for Lathes in all the wrong places?

Post by baweaverpipes »

Gershom wrote:What do you guys think about this lathe? Good for pipe making? Or should I wait till the right one comes along?

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/tls/2922856663.html

Thanks!
Run as fast as you can! Do not even consider that lathe.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

you could probably do some small stuff on that one, but you will be very limited. Also, i think you can buy those new for that price if you catch them on a sale. I'd recommend you wait to find something bigger.

Here a few months ago i went and looked at one of them that someone was selling for 350 and i'm not sure what I was expecting but those things are a lot smaller than i had pictured in my mind.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

baweaverpipes wrote:Run as fast as you can! Do not even consider that lathe.
+1
andrew

Post by andrew »

That lathe will make you its slave instead of the other way around. I'll sing in tune with the rest, don't touch it.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks guys for saving me a bad decision. I'll run the next one by you as well.

Take care.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Gershom wrote:Thanks guys for saving me a bad decision. I'll run the next one by you as well.

Take care.
Its probably a better idea to educate yourself on the lathes you may be interested in, and their relative values on the used market. The problem is, by the time you post a lathe here and wait to read the responses, there is a 99.99% chance that lathe will be long gone before you contact the seller (if its a decent deal).
The only way to get a deal imo is to watch CL religiously (read: twice a day every day) and be ready and willing with cash in hand. Something about metal lathes. They sell like hotcakes.
My advice - You will probably want a 9X20 metal lathe. Anything under say $1,000 for a good working machine is where you want to be. The further away from $1,000, the better the deal. I think I paid $850 for my Jet 9X20, not a steal by any means, but I'd call it a decent price.
OregonCustom

Post by OregonCustom »

I agree with every one here, stay away from that thing. You will be in awe at first, then quickly realize your mistake.
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Yep, I agree. Read all you can about lathes. Read previous posts here and be ready to jump when you find a good deal, as they don't last long.

9x20 is about the smallest I'd consider and is what I use. (Got my jet with stand for $600 on craigslist) You need a good enough deal so that you can still afford to invest just as much or more in the tooling to make pipes, so keep that in mind as well. :wink:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Ok, I think that this is a good one, but I don't want to jump until experts chime in. Sorry for the continuous bother.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tld/3015411884.html

Help!
nolo

Post by nolo »

I'm no expert. But, I'll offer you my opinion anyway.

Looks like a South Bend 9. Can't tell if it is an A B or C. Motor looks "new". Hard to tell the condition of the ways from the picture.

It does come with a milling attachment with the offset base, which came with my 10K and I sold on ebay for $400. You'll need the $400 for tooling: drill chuck, QCTP...

If I were in the area, I would probably try to get it. I don't think you could go too wrong for $800. Just my opinion.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

enco is were i bought my jet, great price and great customer service