First pipe, bent poker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
J.McKnight

First pipe, bent poker

Post by J.McKnight »

OK OK.

Everyone already knows the procedure, and I have already looked at this and picked it apart, but I wanted to hear what you guys say so I can get some good feedback and move on to making some more/better pipes.

I will say it's made from a Tinsky kit. Ok grain, not stained, sanded to 600, 85% was using files, 10% dremel(be careful with a dremel when there is a stem around :/ ) and 5% sanding. I had a hard time getting the stem to shiny again, and it is hard to keep a round pipe actually round. So I may stick to pokers for awhile.

Thanks!

Josh

This is before I did some shank/bowl connection cleanup
Ocelot55

Re: First pipe, bent poker

Post by Ocelot55 »

That looks better than a lot of first pipes. You still need to take of more material at the bowl/shank junction. You also might want to consider staining the pipe as you sand so you can make sure you get all of the sanding marks from the previous grit out.

Overall you did a very good job.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Lets be honest- you'll look back on this pipe and shudder. Why do I say that? Cus' I think if you keep at it you'll do quite well at this little game! You're already off to a good start with the shaping, just keep making these.

A criticism/tip I have, is to watch your lines carefully. Perhaps while you're shaping silhouette your pipe against a bright light and close one eye. It'll help you to see how your lines are doing. For instance, the face of the pipe bowl has a gentle arc to it, which isn't exactly a good thing in a poker.

Don't worry though, with time those details sort themselves out. Now make another!

P.S.

How does she smoke?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
J.McKnight

Post by J.McKnight »

Ya I had some trouble with the lines. I was hand sanding (no sanding wheels here yet) and I just could not seem to get them straight. The bottom of the bow on the back side is actually in a bit compared to the part above the shank, and that bugs me the most and i kept trying to get it not be bowed but that's easier said than done. Also I know the thing picked out the most is the shank stem connection and I had it good until I went back to do some more work and rounded the end just enough so it catches your nail :(

Questions for you guys is how would I take off even more from the shank/bowl connection?
Does it stand/angle/bend in a pleasing manner?
Is the bowl thickness ok?

I am ok with this pipe because it is my first and I have yet to smoke it because it's my little baby but I will give it a review. It does fit amazingly in my hand and feels good in the mouth so far. The bowl is deep also, 2"

Josh
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

J.McKnight wrote:Questions for you guys is how would I take off even more from the shank/bowl connection?
I got a couple chainsaw sharpening files for that from sears - 7/32" & 5/52"
I think they're better than rat-tail files 'cuz they are a constant diameter end to end (no taper)
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Seems it's almost asking to be a cherrywood. I'm personally in favor of forgiving shapes.

Congratulations on your first.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Batchelor_of_Briar

Post by Batchelor_of_Briar »

A tip I'd give you from one newbie to another is to look really carefully at source images - especially if you are trying to nail a classic shape like a poker/billard/dublin. When you know in your head how it is supposed to look I find it helps a lot while you're chipping away at the briar. I've seen far worse - my first included I have to say!