Shank Bits

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Cory

Shank Bits

Post by Cory »

What type/size of bit should I use to drill the air hole? Mortise?

Also, kinda of a random question - what size should the shank be (outer diameter) on a classic billiard - I am thinking 1/2"?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
RadDavis

Re: Shank Bits

Post by RadDavis »

Most of us use 5/32 or 4mm for the smoke hole. Mortise can be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/8, depending on the size of the pipe.

There are no rules regarding the size of the shank on a standard billiard. If it's a huge billiard the shank can be an inch. If it's a very small billiard, the shank can be smaller than 1/2 inch. It just has to look like a billiard. :P

Rad
Cory

Post by Cory »

1/4" mortise and 5/32" smoke hole seems about right for the size of this pipe.

I think it is just below average size (not by much) - I am going to taper the shank from 5/8" to 1/2" or 9/16".

Here is how she sits right now. I need to pick up a few bits and a belt for my sander before I can progress.

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Charl

Post by Charl »

You think too much! Make the pipe! :)
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Charl is right. You could spend 2 hours doodling on a block, But as soon as file chisel or sandpaper touch it your marks are gone. Better to get a 3d image in your head and start carving. You will have a lot more fun if you just dive In.