Miniature Chain Saw etc.

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Hudson

Miniature Chain Saw etc.

Post by Hudson »

Someone recommended this web site to me and after seeing it I thought it might be of interest:

http://katools.com/

Hard to tell if a miniature chain saw would come in handy but the video is intriguing.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
d.huber

Re: Miniature Chain Saw etc.

Post by d.huber »

That's pretty small... I was really hoping for something that fits on my key chain though... :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I know this post is old, but having some experience with this type of power carver, I'll add my cent and a half's worth of input.

First off, if you want to carve free-form pipes in a hurry this little guy is the ticket! I'm sure you could use it for more traditional shapes too, but I think free-form stuff is where it would really shine.

The Merlin is basically a miniature version of their Lancelot and Squire chainsaw discs, which are used on a 4.5" angle grinder. The Merlin is just a smaller grinder with a smaller chainsaw disc. I myself have a both the Lancelot and Squire discs, with 22 and 14 tooth chains for the Lancelot, and an 18T chain for the Squire, though a 12T is also available.

I've used mine on everything from chair seats to free-form bowls, and they're truly excellent tools. They will remove a lot of material in a hurry if needed, but can still be used for lighter detail cuts if you use care and a soft touch.

I think the Merlin would be excellent for free-form pipes, and even the larger discs would likely be a great addition to your shaping tools. I've used mine for a bit of rough shaping and heavy material removal, and they have worked great for this, being MUCH faster than a rasp or coarse sanding discs, etc.

The Holey Galahad is another disc that could be very useful in certain applications, and it's one that will last a long, long time!

King Arthur Tools also makes some very good quality carbide burrs (1/4" shaft).

The one sanding system they sell that I know for sure near any pipe carver would love is their Guinevere sanding drum set. It uses inflatable drums with a flex shaft on a bench-grinder type motor and works very, very well! They also have polishing cloths for this system.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Thanks for the first hand review, Kenny. It'll be awhile before I need worry about speed but its nice to know what they're appropriate for should I ever get there.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker