Pipe Mud

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Lakemonster

Pipe Mud

Post by Lakemonster »

I hadnt heard of it tiill I read it here a few days ago...

I am way out of the loop on this one... I havent seen this at JHLOWE or PIMO.

Someone please clue me in on how to make....get..... or something.... Thanks!
some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

http://pipesmith.info
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

pipe mud is posted on here in detail (the forums that is). The majority of what i've heard is that it's for raising the level of a bowl if your drilling is too deep or if your draught hole comes out too high. It's composed of tobacco ashes and something else... can't remember. Check out the forums on it, use the search, it's on there.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Although I've never used it myself, it is a mixture of cigar ashes and water. Mix it up until it is a very thick mixture (very little water) and spread it in the pipe where it is needed. After it dries and is smoked it will make a nice thick carbon cake to protect the bowl and be more aesthetically pleasing.

Jeff
Lakemonster

Post by Lakemonster »

Cool... I did a quick search last nite and it appears that there are lots of results.... so I will sift thru that at when I have more time.....

Cigar ashes and water. huh. well........it amazes me that that would bond up and set well... surprise surprise surprise...

I agree that using this would not be for one of my sale pipes. or at least for a "first".

I would however like to recover a couple of blocks that I effed up and just tossed to the side.

Thanks Y'all!
some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

http://pipesmith.info
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

lake, well "bonding" is relative in this case. It doesn't really bond well to walls, from what I hear, but it sits as little cake at the bottom OK. I don't know I've heard of too many people using it on walls.
marks

Post by marks »

I've used pipe mud in two pipes I purchased where the bowl was deeper than the draft inlet. It works wonders.

From what I have read, you must use cigar ash. None other has the consistency and holding ability. Just put water in by drops, and mix until it is the consistency of mortar. Then, apply in the bottom of the bowl and shape to your desired contour. Let it dry thoroughly (I let it dry for about a week, but it should dry quicker than that.)

Once dried, it sticks to the bowl just like carbon cake. If you don't like it, just ream it out.

Your first few smokes will taste like cigar, but after the flavor is changed, it is unnoticable.

This stuff works great, and I have not had to reapply to either of the two pipes I have used it in, and they are going on approx three or four years.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Pipe mud is awesome. The trick is getting the right consistencey. Too much water and the stuff is to brittle and will flake off with very little effort. To little and it won't stick well. The mortar analogy is just right.