Squat Rhodesian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JonBood

Squat Rhodesian

Post by JonBood »

Well, this was originally intended for the rhodesian pith earlier but as I am bound to almost only creating pipes in summer time it became somewhat delayed.

I had some inspiration from pipes by Manduela but didn't have the guts to do a diamond shank yet, since it is the first rhodesian I attempted. It is also my first with a handcut ebonite stem.

Please give me some feedback if you have any. :D

Best regards, Jon

Last edited by JonBood on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny

Re: Squat Rhodesian

Post by Kenny »

You've got an issue with your pics.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I think it should be working now?
Had some problems, thought I could share them via google drive but apparently only had access myself=)
DMI

Post by DMI »

Because it is a chunky pipe I think the shank could do with cutting in half giving a chunky nosewarmer.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I see your point with regards to the proportions of the shank!

The pipe is actually quite small as it is, 11 cm long and ways 29 g, so maybe it would become a noseburner if I shortened it any more :D . The stem was meant to be longer to begin with but I had some issues making it, resulting in ca. 1 cm shorter than intended.

Thanks for the comment!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

DMI made a good point about the stem being too short. Overall though I think you did very well on this one. Great job on the stem, especially considering that it is your first hand cut stem. Having done that myself recently I will say that stems suck. Your first turned out a lot better than mine. :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work. Now that summer is upon us I expect to see a lot more pipes from you! (Now go make a diamond shanked one!)
Growley

Post by Growley »

Great work on this, especially the stem. The only thing I would ad for critique is maybe the bowl could have been canted forward a tad. You did a great job with the bowl making the front look like the back.

Good job.

Brian.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Very shapely. I'm thinking I'd love to see it with a slim accent ring/extension. Maybe get part of your lost cm back. Good work.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Thanks for the comment guys!
I think the next one will be a slightly canted diamond shanked bulldog with a slim stem extension;)
To the drawing table tomorrow!