Anse Hatfield's pipe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oklahoma red

Anse Hatfield's pipe

Post by oklahoma red »

If you've not been watching the Hatfields & McCoys on the History channel you are missing one hell of a program.
Kevin Costner's character Anse Hatfield has a pipe stuck in his mouth in at least half the scenes. I've been trying to get a good enough look at it to figure out what it might be. Looks to be a cross between several styles with a short skinny stem.
Anyone else been watching?
Chas.
LAH

Re: Anse Hatfield's pipe

Post by LAH »

This is a pretty good program. I keep on hoping to get a good view of Hatfields pipe. The pipe looks like a Belge or Cutty to me.

Abe
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

What an awesome mini-series. The pipe does look like both a cutty and belge hybrid but small and dainty like a pocket pipe.

Needless to say, I want one! I think that might be my next pipe on the workbench.

Does anyone know if Kevin Costner is pipe smoker in his off the screen life?

He seemed to be a natural in the series.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

If you want to freeze frame and llok at the pipe; http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields- ... oys-part-1
Michael Labo
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

was on my newsfeed when I logged in today.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I think the best views of this pipe are in the last episode where Costner is talking to Powers Booth where the Judge says he's going to turn himself in.
The pipe definitely appears to be a hybrid to me anyway. I see Egg, Belge and Cutty rolled into it.
Also interesting is it does not appear to have a conventional bit. The shank and stem, if there is one, look to be round throughout the length.
This would make it easier to clench with ones molars as he appears to do.
It would be interesting to know the source of the pipe.
Chas.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Amateurish I know, but I suck at realistic sketches. Been studying this pipe and wanted a sketch with the face for reference.
Archer

Post by Archer »

I had actually made something "like" it a few weeks before the show aired. I was surprised, almost wondered if they guy who bought mine sold it to Costner...lol...well, not "exactly" alike anyways...With humble approach here it is:

Edit* - To include: Im sure there are those of you who will develop something better! I may have another go at it as well since his pipe appeared to not have a "taper" and also had a flat top.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Some of the other pipe boards have also been discussing Costner's pipe but so far I don't believe any source has been revealed.
Nice job on this one by the way.
I have one on the drawing board but it will probably be a while since I have a "real" job to contend with. But that is what pays for my toys.
Chas.
Archer

Post by Archer »

oklahoma red wrote:Some of the other pipe boards have also been discussing Costner's pipe but so far I don't believe any source has been revealed.
Nice job on this one by the way.
I have one on the drawing board but it will probably be a while since I have a "real" job to contend with. But that is what pays for my toys.
Chas.
Welcome to the club mang! I often fantasize what could be done were it not for the "real" job...until I realize the real job is what allows me to play with this stuff! lol

Thanks for the compliment!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The door opens another crack: from Hollywood.com

Kevin Costner has credited beards, pipes and letters with helping him perfect his Devil Anse Hatfield character for TV mini-series Hatfields & Mccoys, because the accessories helped him research the feuding post-American Civil War patriarch.

The drama was a big hit when it debuted in America at the end of last month (May12) and now Costner has revealed how he prepared for the real-life role.

Asked how he got ready to play a 19th century character, opposite Bill Paxton, Costner tells Cowboys & Indians magazine, "I start working with black powder. I start working with how to load those guns. I start looking at costumes.

"I start looking at beards and I start looking at cadence; how people talked back then. I read letters written by people back then. In this case, I needed to find the right beard and the right hat and the right pipe. I had to make the decision between this little corncob pipe and this little almond one - and I took the almond one."

Sooner or later the source of that pipe will be revealed.

Chas.
Archer

Post by Archer »

oklahoma red wrote:The door opens another crack: from Hollywood.com

Kevin Costner has credited beards, pipes and letters with helping him perfect his Devil Anse Hatfield character for TV mini-series Hatfields & Mccoys, because the accessories helped him research the feuding post-American Civil War patriarch.

The drama was a big hit when it debuted in America at the end of last month (May12) and now Costner has revealed how he prepared for the real-life role.

Asked how he got ready to play a 19th century character, opposite Bill Paxton, Costner tells Cowboys & Indians magazine, "I start working with black powder. I start working with how to load those guns. I start looking at costumes.

"I start looking at beards and I start looking at cadence; how people talked back then. I read letters written by people back then. In this case, I needed to find the right beard and the right hat and the right pipe. I had to make the decision between this little corncob pipe and this little almond one - and I took the almond one."

Sooner or later the source of that pipe will be revealed.

Chas.
Ohhhhh....Almond refers to the color? Or the maker? Isnt there a brand called "Almond" pipes...? Anybody know?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'd wager shape. For someone that wouldn't really know too much about pipes, it's a fair description of the bowl shape.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

So is it kind of flat like an opera pipe? Haven't seen any of the shows, but almond to me sounds like it'd be like a flat brandy? That picture just kind of looks like a tiny cutty for rationing your tobacco.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.