Getting Some New Tools - Suggestions

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Cory

Getting Some New Tools - Suggestions

Post by Cory »

Looking at picking up a few tools to make the process a bit easier.

I'm not planning on dropping any serious dough on something like the J.H. Lowe or PIMO tenon turner, but some tools that will expedite the process but won't break the bank would be ideal.

I was thinking a Dremel carving bit set (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-689-01-11- ... ef=lh_ni_t) and a couple other things?

Suggestions would be good. Already have a set of Forstner bits, sanders, rotary tool, drill press, circular saw, table saw, chop saw, scroll saw, jig saw, see saw, etc.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Mark Beattie

Re: Getting Some New Tools - Suggestions

Post by Mark Beattie »

Hi Cory,

The tool race has begun. A couple drill bits would be a good start. One for the mortise, tobacco chamber and draught holes. A rotary tool with sanding drums makes quick work of stummel detail and stems. Not sure if you're making your own stems or modifying store bought stems. I assume your modifying store bought stems. If so, you might benefit from a length of Delrin to create tenons for them. I found this easier than using a tenon turning tool.

An adjustable vice would also be a nice addition for your drill press.

Hope this helps a tad,

Mark
Cory

Post by Cory »

I have a 3/4" and 7/8" tobacco chamber bit, 5/32" air hole bit, and Forstner set for mortises. I also have a rotary with drums.
Also, just ordered 10 feet of Delrin today haha.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

If you are shaping pipes by hand, I'd suggest a high quality hand-struck rasp. Preferably two, a cabinet makers rasp and a rat-tail, and around 18-grain (sometimes called tpi). A modelers rasp at 25-grain is another good addition. Avoid machine made rasps if possible, as they are nowhere near equal of a hand-struck rasp.
Stewmac.com and Gramercy tools both offer hand-struck rasps, as does Lie-Nielsen (Aurio), with the first two options being the more affordable.

No, they are not cheap. But worth every penny and then some. And when you consider their likely to outlast you, they make a lot more sense.

Another cheaper alternative that I like, is the Shinto Saw Rasp. These work far better than a machine made traditional rasp, and would be my next choice following the hand-struck.

Avoid Nicholson rasps. Their quality has gone completely down the tube.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Agreed - get some good rasps, round, half round, and flat, flat files, and needle files (jeweller's files) for shaping and stem work.

Then get a lathe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

A round chainsaw file is a must for shaping the transition between shank and bowl. I also do fine tuning with it. It's great for knocking off high points to get things round and it is easy to control.

Oh, and get a lathe. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

I got this set from Amazon and love it! Dirt cheap too!!!! This set is best for stem work and "ok" for rusticating but not great.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Quality-20-Pi ... remel+bits
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

Did anyone mention a lathe? .. :lol:

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Charl

Post by Charl »

What is a dremel? :? :lol:
Never used one and can't really see that I will.
Buy a lathe.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Charl wrote:What is a dremel? :? :lol:
Never used one and can't really see that I will.
Buy a lathe.
I've got to agree with this. While the Dremel has it's place, I find rasps, files and sandpaper to be my preferred method of shaping. And while I'm no expert, I don't see a whole lot of use for a Dremel in pipe-making. Anything it can do, I can do with 100 times the control via files, rasps or hand-sanding.

And, it is true, a lathe is key. I'd be saving my pennies for one.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I get a load of use out of my dremel. I really wouldn't want to be without it.

But I'd miss my lathe even more. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I use my Dremel fairly often too for various things. Lacking the luxury of more expensive options, it's a pretty good choice, IMHO.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I too can vouch for a dremel. It is phenomenal for early shaping on pipes. I mean sure, if I could afford a better option I would. But still- I think my dremel will always have its place in my shop. Totally worth it.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
DMI

Post by DMI »

Get the rasps, I paid £90 for five Swiss rasps about four years ago and use them for 90 % of my shaping work. You might also want to look at 1st and 2nd cut metal working files and rifler rasps (even the really cheap ones)

Dremels-some people love 'em, I think it is the power tool/man tool thing. If you do get one I would reccomend carbide rather than diamond burrs as they work at high speed and cut quicker without burning.

Oh and if you slip with a rasp it's a little mistake, if you slip with a burr at 6,000rpm it becomes a shop pipe.

David.
Cory

Post by Cory »

I think I may get a few rasps. I am finding that the diamond needle file set and 120-600 grit sandpaper just isn't ideal for shaping...
DMI

Post by DMI »

Oh and try different sandpapers, emery cloth (I use this), abranet, scotchbrite, wet and dry ETC.

I do it like this:
NO LATHE TURNING
wheel, rasps, files, 60 grit, 120,180,240,320,400,500 then grey (ultrafine) scotchbrite.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'm shopping a lathe right now, but I've been using my dremel for lots of stuff like drilling(more like opening and sanding) the chamber.

I'll continue the trend, even though I've got no experience with the tool yet. Get a lathe. :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard