Competition Pipe (Not much Competition)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Competition Pipe (Not much Competition)

Post by Alden »

I waited to the day before the deadline to start my GKCPC pipe. Lots of stuff keeping me back from having the tools set up and running earlier.
I figured out, the day before a deadline was a bad to time to 1.) Start your third pipe. 2.) Start your first Bulldog. 3.) Learn how to use a shaping wheel.
So I ruined the first bulldog on the shaping wheel, but it will make an ok shop pipe. Started a second one that was way too fancy for my skill level. At 9:00 pm I made the decision to start a third pipe, and not get fancy or have some insane idea of winning the contest but just make a straight bulldog that wasnt embarrasing. I stayed up until 7 am working on it, got a few hours sleep, put in a couple more hours that afternoon and got it to Fedex 3 minutes before they closed :D
While its not impressive in any way, and has a couple embarrassing mistakes and some blatantly obvious places it could be refined, its still a pipe I would be excited to own (I'm having it sent back).

Batchelor_of_Briar

Re: Competition Pipe (Not much Competition)

Post by Batchelor_of_Briar »

The chin on this puts me in mind of the bow of the titanic - the pipe itself almost looks like it has some heritage, I like that. It's a nice take on the bulldog shape in my opinion, looks like it'd feel great in the hand.
Alden

Post by Alden »

You're right, I should market this as the "Unsinkable Pipe". Guaranteed not to drown you in the night! But wait, theres more ! It also smokes tobacco ! :D
Its really not a great pipe, but its not really a terrible pipe either. The walls are so thick, its really sort of a Pot with rings and a diamond shank. I expect it to be an excellent smoker, and thats my first concern.
If I did it again, I would streamline the bowl just a bit without taking off too much material. Put the rings higher and tighter. Leave the shank thicker and straighten the lines of the shank better. And probably remove the chin, even though it does add a lot of character.
Character is good, but perceived quality is better. I think those changes would make this pipe look more professional.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

This pipe looks much better in person. I think you did a pretty good job. Lots of stuff that can be fixed, but you've got a long career ahead of you to do it in.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Well thanks for taking the time to check it out man. I hadnt slept much in a couple days and snapped these pics in the last few minutes before Fedex closed :lol:
I didnt even know for sure if it made it into the show because I left a number off the street address I was sending it to.
Have some new photo lights and a tripod coming this week so hopefully my pics get much better!