Raps and Cross-Slide Vise

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Cory

Raps and Cross-Slide Vise

Post by Cory »

Suggestions?

I ordered the cheapo Dremel tool kit, so step one for my tool acquisition is complete haha - already come in handy.

The next things I am looking for are one or two rasps (I know hand-struck were mentioned, but I can't justify spending $70 on two tools plus shipping). I honestly hate to skimp on tools, but I need to get by with something more economical. What I need is the next best thing - suggestions. Ya know, something that will last until my pipes sell for $500 a piece - so like 20 years. :roll: Best thing <$15 ea.

Second, I am looking for a cross-slide drill press vise. The benchtop vise held with my hands because I can't fit a clamp anywhere on it is just total crap - I don't want to ruin anymore blocks with crappy drilling. Once again, I fully realize that a 'good' cross-slide vise is like $200+, but that isn't what I need (hopefully I can upgrade to a lathe before I need to buy another one anyway). I need a vise that will work for drilling briar. I'm not precision milling anything, so as long as it stays still when it should, moves when it should, will bolt to a drill press table, and can move in the x,y-plane I am satisfied. Once again, suggestions. Looking for the best thing <$50

I know some of you are dying inside at the proposition of buying cheap tools, but that is all I can afford at the moment - please don't give me your preachings about doing crap right and not making pipes unless I can afford a $300 vise and $35 rasps; that isn't what I asked. Suggestions regarding what I asked please, no ideology soapboxes. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Cory
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Raps and Cross-Slide Vise

Post by KurtHuhn »

Cory wrote: The next things I am looking for are one or two rasps (I know hand-struck were mentioned, but I can't justify spending $70 on two tools plus shipping). I honestly hate to skimp on tools, but I need to get by with something more economical. What I need is the next best thing - suggestions. Ya know, something that will last until my pipes sell for $500 a piece - so like 20 years. :roll: Best thing <$15 ea.
I would suggest a double cut bastard file. It can leave a better surface than rasps, and it isn't appreciably slower (at least in my hands). Then a typical smooth cut or second cut file to clean up and fine tune. This is the combo I use when cutting stems - suggested here on the forum by Todd Johnson. I don't really have a need for rasps here, and I'm not sure what I would use them for. But, ask a dozen pipe makers how to do something, and you'll get a dozen answers. :)
Second, I am looking for a cross-slide drill press vise. The benchtop vise held with my hands because I can't fit a clamp anywhere on it is just total crap - I don't want to ruin anymore blocks with crappy drilling. Once again, I fully realize that a 'good' cross-slide vise is like $200+, but that isn't what I need (hopefully I can upgrade to a lathe before I need to buy another one anyway). I need a vise that will work for drilling briar. I'm not precision milling anything, so as long as it stays still when it should, moves when it should, will bolt to a drill press table, and can move in the x,y-plane I am satisfied. Once again, suggestions. Looking for the best thing <$50
When I was doing drilling on a drill press, I just used a typical drill press vise with no adjustment. I'd fiddle it into place and get things lined up, then clamp it down with welding clamps. Not the prettiest of setups, but it did the job. It looks exactly like this one:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-P ... e-6-/G5753
But is black because I bought it from Harbor Freight. It's not a precision piece of equipment, but it really didn't need to be for my purposes. This may or may not work for you, and if you're set on a cross slide vise, Grizzly has those too.
I know some of you are dying inside at the proposition of buying cheap tools, but that is all I can afford at the moment - please don't give me your preachings about doing crap right and not making pipes unless I can afford a $300 vise and $35 rasps; that isn't what I asked. Suggestions regarding what I asked please, no ideology soapboxes. :thumbsup:
A lot of folks start with tools they can afford, then buy better ones as they can. It really doesn't matter what the craft or profession is. You don't see tech school grads loading up on Snap-On tools. Instead they get what they need at Harbor Freight, then later graduate to Craftsman or Kobalt, then move to higher priced and higher quality tools. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not expecting your inexpensive tools to act the same as the high-end stuff. Bigger, faster, and better tools aren't going to help you the least bit if you're unfamiliar with how to make best use of them anyway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

Schweet. I already have a double cut bastard file (I use it for metal).

I'm not set on a cross slide, I just figured it would be easier than a regular vise. I may just go ahead and get a regular one, and put the savings towards the lathe fund. :wink:
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Good plan!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I bought a cheap cross slide vise for my drill press and I have to say even a cheap one makes life a lot easier. I still use mine from time to time. It's worth the $49.99 IMHO. Harbor Freight, Grizzly, and Northern Tools makes decent ones for under or around $50. If it comes down to a few within your price range, I'd pick the one that opens the widest. The X and Y travel distance isn't as big a deal for pipe making but I wouldn't go less than 3 1/2".
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Cory

Post by Cory »

Leaning towards this: http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Slide-Drill ... press+vise

With some modifications, it appears it may do what I need/want.