Ball with White Stem - #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

Ball with White Stem - #3

Post by Cory »

Here is number three. It isn't quite done yet - I know the stem needs some work around the stem/shank joint (there isn't a gap, but the diameters don't match perfectly.

Anyways, here is a shot of it:

Last edited by Cory on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Cory

Re: Ball with White Stem

Post by Cory »

Could someone give me a quick critique?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
d.huber

Re: Ball with White Stem - #3

Post by d.huber »

Based on the photo, your shaping looks pretty good. It looks a little clunky on the underside where the bowl transitions into the shank, but I bet it's a comfy pipe to hold. The finish also looks pretty ok. The rim of the pipe looks like it didn't get sanded down enough after your first coat of stain to produce the contrast that it looks like you were going for. I've made the same mistake, that's how I can spot it. :P

Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the stem. However, it's hard to sell me on colored stems. Personal preference, you understand.

I assume that's a preform stem, yes? What modifications did you make to it? From this point, I'd get the diameter of the stem and shank to match up, then taper the stem from where it meets the shank down to the button.

The energy of the composition is interesting. It's got a "speeding meteor with an ice particle tail" thing going on that I kinda like.

All that said, I've made three pipes, so take my critique with a gallon of salt.
Last edited by d.huber on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

BTW, more photos would be really helpful when you're done.

I recommend:

1. Left Profile
2. Right Profile
3. Chamber shot
4. Button shot
5. Sexy pose
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'd say the major thing is bend that stem! It's hard to see, but the stem/shank joint looks like the edges were rounded in manufacture. Always make sure to keep the stem in the shank while shaping. Looks to me like the ball on the stem-side of the bowl bulges just a bit. But overall not too shabby Cory.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

It is a little difficult to give the whole thing a fair shake with the stem and shank looking so uncomfortable with each other. I am intrigued by the stain job and would like to see more; it seems to have lots of movement going on behind the shiny. With only one photo I can't be sure but is the bowl a little jowly? I like the overall shape and the contrast of colors but I'd have to see more pics to be more helpful.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker