Second Pipe: Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
collinthib

Second Pipe: Cutty

Post by collinthib »

I've always liked the shape of a Cutty, and have a few clay ones, but I wanted to make one. I also wanted to try my hand at rustication. I'm not super pleased at the results, but I do have to say this is one of the best smoking pipes I own.

To rusticate, I used a star/Torx screw driver that I sharpened and gave teeth to with a Dremel cutting wheel. I learned a few things with this pipe. Mainly, how much easier my life would be if I had power tools, and that symmetry can be achieved with hand tools if you have enough patience. I also learned I need a lot more files.

Any feedback would be helpful. Apologies for the terrible photography.

Pics:

Cory

Re: Second Pipe: Cutty

Post by Cory »

Really clunky and big. I would go back and refine the shape and take off lots of material.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
collinthib

Post by collinthib »

I would agree about the first pipe I made; but with this one I didn't have the same fear of taking off too much meat. Maybe it's the photos, but the chamber walls are only 6mm wide (probably should've included something for reference). I've smoked it, and I'm afraid that any less would burn my hand.
collinthib

Post by collinthib »

But thanks for the feedback, Cory. It's a featherweight and a good smoker, but a beauty it isn't. :? Thanks!
Cory

Post by Cory »

I think it may be the taper of the shank/stem that gives it the clunkiness. As always, it is your pipe and it is up to you what you do with it. But to be a traditional cutty, I would recommend taking some material off.

Here is a good website to reference when trying classic shapes: http://www.aspipes.com/Shapes/Shapes%20Chart.htm

How large is the chamber?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
collinthib

Post by collinthib »

I see. Totally agree. I wanted to keep the taper of the stem since it's what came with the block. I don't have a drill press yet, so I'm still carving from pre-drilled blocks. I do, however, have a block set up to make a Canadian-esqe pipe I've yet to cut into.
collinthib

Post by collinthib »

Cory,

A: 33mm
B: 45mm
C: 142mm
D: 41mm
E: 21mm
F: between 40 and 35mm