Pipes #1, #2, and #4

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

Pipes #1, #2, and #4

Post by Cory »

Finally finished my first and second pipes and also started and finished the fourth (first is the billiard, second is the cutty/horn thing [drilling is off and shaping isn't right = shop pipe], fourth is the poker). I had a busy day needless to say.

Here are some pictures (still trying to figure out how to make my P&S take decent macro pictures - trying to perfect my light box technique).

Give me your critique on all please. Each of these have flaws that I know of. The time it would take to redo it isn't worth it considering they are my first pipes. I have learned a WHOLE lot from each of these. I expect pipe number five to be much, much better. My biggest problem is stem/shank fitment. The stem/delrin/mortise are all square with eachother, but I always managed to make them at an angle - have it partially figured out, so that should be alleviated on #5.

Number One:

Number Two (already has a thread, but I made so many modifications, I figured I would just put it here):

Number Four:

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Sasquatch

Re: Pipes #1, #2, and #4

Post by Sasquatch »

Wow you got a neat piece of wood on the third one!

That one needs to be tightened up to look right - the sides of the cylinder shape on the bowl bulge out at the shank. Gotta keep the lines of the bowl hard and straight or it looks like it's melting.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Cory

Post by Cory »

Sasquatch wrote:Wow you got a neat piece of wood on the third one!

That one needs to be tightened up to look right - the sides of the cylinder shape on the bowl bulge out at the shank. Gotta keep the lines of the bowl hard and straight or it looks like it's melting.
I figured as much - I was hoping I could get away with it haha :roll:.

The plan was to rusticate the poker, but I liked the birdseye way to much once I started shaping (it is one of the pieces I got from Makis). Turned out much better than I initially had thought.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Yeah, I'm with Sas. That third one looks to be a really special piece of wood. Is the birdseye all the way around the bowl or are you hiding some cross-grain in the angle not shown?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com