#6 - Bent Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Re: #6 - Bent Billiard

Post by scotties22 »

I do quite a bit of hand sanding. I have found that if I stop every few minutes to examine the pipe...ya know, check my progress...thats just enough time for my hands to relax and I'm good.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

scotties22 wrote:I do quite a bit of hand sanding. I have found that if I stop every few minutes to examine the pipe...ya know, check my progress...thats just enough time for my hands to relax and I'm good.
Will try that, though I pretty much do the same. Amazing, it's like tennis elbow, really affects my arm ligaments!

Damnit, growing old is not a good thing!
collinthib

Post by collinthib »

Man, that's great Cory. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It used to take me 3 to 4 hours to make a pipe but its started taking longer and longer. I think I have 9 hours in the one I'm working on now....it still looks like crap
It is a fine looking pipe, Cory. I agree with you, Ocelot. My hand is still cramping from the one I just finished. I go at the block with a hand saw, then resort to the rasps, then files, then sanding. It's getting faster....if 'faster' is a word that can be applied to my process.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

wmolaw wrote: .........................
And on that note, I have begun to experience "carpal tunnel" syndrome from hand sanding. Anyone else experience this? And, if so, anyway around it?
After carefully cataloging all of my physical shortcomings (and therefore my tool needs), I've come to the conclusion that I don't have many issues that wouldn't be solved by a nice light-weight exo-skeleton. I was initially thinking of one of those anthropomorphic robotic suits like in Avatar but they seem so, you know, bulky. No, light-weight's the way to go. Think of all the hand-sanding you could get done with just the upper body option.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Hudson wrote:
wmolaw wrote: .........................
And on that note, I have begun to experience "carpal tunnel" syndrome from hand sanding. Anyone else experience this? And, if so, anyway around it?
After carefully cataloging all of my physical shortcomings (and therefore my tool needs), I've come to the conclusion that I don't have many issues that wouldn't be solved by a nice light-weight exo-skeleton. I was initially thinking of one of those anthropomorphic robotic suits like in Avatar but they seem so, you know, bulky. No, light-weight's the way to go. Think of all the hand-sanding you could get done with just the upper body option.
Oh, AGREE, AGREE! I have gotten one of these:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... nder?Args=

And it seems to really help with the heavy sanding. Just need some coarser grit now.