Hello from Reno

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
Daniel Y

Hello from Reno

Post by Daniel Y »

I have been poking around on this group for a couple of weeks now. Actually started my first attempt at a pipe and have made a couple of posts about it. Mainly an exorcise to find out how much I can get done in my current shop and what I will need to add. I have made pens for many years so I have a fairly good shop with three lathes one of which is a metal lathe (7X12) and one wood lathe that is a very good one for what I can't do int he metal lathe. I also have a drill press that I am familiar enough with to actually use accurately. Band saw, radial arm saw, dremel tool. as far as I can tell I am pretty wells set for the large ticket equipment. I have started a list of small items I need to get in order to attempt a second or third pipe, as well as some decisions to make that I woudl like to get some input on.

as for my list

a half dozen Briar blocks. (Cheap practice quality)
A french wheel and sanding pads that will mount on the head stock of my lathe (several options here but I like the idea of holding a wheel in my collet chuck if there is such an animal.

A set of jaws for my Nova chuck to hold the briar block.

possibly some buffing compounds. I have a buffer and unused wheels but my compounds where selected for polishing pens and may not be complete for polishing pipes.

A tobacco chamber drill bit. for the moment I am looking for a 3/4 inch tapered bit until I have need for other shapes. I am stuck on this decision a little bit. First I am not sure I will make very many pipes but I also am of the mind set that if I am going to do it then do it right. I am debating between grinding a spade bit or a 3/4 inch SD bit. one is a $3 answer the other a $20. My mind also says there will be a considerable difference in the quality of the tool.

I woudl appreciate hearing from others that have already gone down this path as to weather a spade bit is quality enough for the first half dozen pipes. I know that if this turns into something that I continue to do I will get the SD bit eventually.

Finally the bad news. I am working form nearly nothing including money. so every dollar counts and I have more time than money atm. even if I made a half dozen practice pipes. I would like them to be good enough to be able to sell them even at an insulting price and return that money to the craft to increase my ability to make better ones. I am not limited to selling the first pipe I make to pay for the second. but I am pretty close to it.

Making things for my self is preferred to buying it as long as it does not drastically influence the quality of the finished pipe. Keep in mind my personal skill in the shop are fairly well refined. I am looking for opinions on weather the quality of one tool over another makes a difference

Thanks in advance for allowing me to borrow you knowledge and experiences.
Dirk_H

Re: Hello from Reno

Post by Dirk_H »

Hi Daniel,
I am afraid I can't help you very much since I am a beginner by myselve. But I wish you good luck with your start.
And my wallet is very slim too, so I understand your situation. Unfortunately pipemaking includes some throwbacks.
Good luck again! :-)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I recommend grinding your own spade bits. It's easy, it's a good skill to have, and if done well the result will be great. Add to that it is inexpensive, and you have a winner.

Welcome!
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Hi Daniel,
I, too, am absolutely new at this and have just gone through the same decisions that you are now. It all can seem overwhelming. I ended up grinding my own chamber bit from a spade bit I already had. When it came time to buy some briar, I also thought that I should get seconds for practice. Tim West at J.H. Lowe was really helpful with my purchase. His idea was not to get seconds because they have flaws that would take an experienced hand to get around, and, if you do make something you are proud of, it spoiled by a bunch of flaws.

Something else that I have found to be invaluable has been to read as much as I could on this forum. I've found that a number of the people that post nice work started out just like us and had the same dilemmas. Their experiences I found inspiring.

Good luck,
Jim
Daniel Y

Post by Daniel Y »

Thanks for the comments. I have pretty much decided to go with grinding a spade bit for now. it is a low cost way to get an answer for now realizing before hand that i will upgrade in time.

I understand the comment about getting good enough brier that if I do make something worth keeping, the material does not take away from that. A suggestion to be taken seriously as I already am a bit in that situation having made my first pipe out of walnut burl. it is going well but will never be much of a pipe at all.

I started the stem for my first pipe and used a nice piece of acrylic rod. at the very least if i get that right it could be used for another pipe up the road.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Welcome Daniel! It's good to see you here. I haven't been to active on IAP these days, but I do lurk there and read regularly. I know with your attention to detail you'll be a quick learner where pipes are concerned!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Grammaton

Post by Grammaton »

I made my first pipe from a piece of hard maple. The chamber was drilled with a re-ground spade bit. The stem was made with an acrylic pen blank. I made a sanding disk from 1/4" plywood.

That pipe still smokes better than any of my Petersons.
longneckers

Post by longneckers »

Daniel Y wrote:I have been poking around on this group for a couple of weeks now. Actually started my first attempt at a pipe and have made a couple of posts about it. Mainly an exorcise to find out how much I can get done in my current shop and what I will need to add. I have made pens for many years so I have a fairly good shop with three lathes one of which is a metal lathe (7X12) and one wood lathe that is a very good one for what I can't do int he metal lathe. I also have a drill press that I am familiar enough with to actually use accurately. Band saw, radial arm saw, dremel tool. as far as I can tell I am pretty wells set for the large ticket equipment. I have started a list of small items I need to get in order to attempt a second or third pipe, as well as some decisions to make that I woudl like to get some input on.

as for my list

a half dozen Briar blocks. (Cheap practice quality)
A french wheel and sanding pads that will mount on the head stock of my lathe (several options here but I like the idea of holding a wheel in my collet chuck if there is such an animal.

A set of jaws for my Nova chuck to hold the briar block.

possibly some buffing compounds. I have a buffer and unused wheels but my compounds where selected for polishing pens and may not be complete for polishing pipes.

A tobacco chamber drill bit. for the moment I am looking for a 3/4 inch tapered bit until I have need for other shapes. I am stuck on this decision a little bit. First I am not sure I will make very many pipes but I also am of the mind set that if I am going to do it then do it right. I am debating between grinding a spade bit or a 3/4 inch SD bit. one is a $3 answer the other a $20. My mind also says there will be a considerable difference in the quality of the tool.

I woudl appreciate hearing from others that have already gone down this path as to weather a spade bit is quality enough for the first half dozen pipes. I know that if this turns into something that I continue to do I will get the SD bit eventually.

Finally the bad news. I am working form nearly nothing including money. so every dollar counts and I have more time than money atm. even if I made a half dozen practice pipes. I would like them to be good enough to be able to sell them even at an insulting price and return that money to the craft to increase my ability to make better ones. I am not limited to selling the first pipe I make to pay for the second. but I am pretty close to it.

Making things for my self is preferred to buying it as long as it does not drastically influence the quality of the finished pipe. Keep in mind my personal skill in the shop are fairly well refined. I am looking for opinions on weather the quality of one tool over another makes a difference

Thanks in advance for allowing me to borrow you knowledge and experiences.
Hi daniel

doesnt help that wood craft or woodcrafters closed there doors.
wood working scorce seems ok . good exotic woods are hard to get in northern nevada without ordering on line.

I thought I would chime in on your thread because I live near you.
this is my first post in this form and I guess I am new to pipe making.