Dreams and fanaticism

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
d.huber

Re: Dreams and fanaticism

Post by d.huber »

KurtHuhn wrote:I actually have not read it yet. It just got bumped up on my reading list. Thanks!

A recent read was What Zombies Fear, an interesting take on zombies. It was entertaining, and there were parts were I couldn't put it down. The tradeoff is that there were parts I had to muddle through. Not bad for free on Kindle though.

After that was the Book of Deacon trilogy. A really, really good collection of books. It's post apocalypse(ish) , but set in the middle ages with magic and all the trappings of fantasy. I loved it, and consumed the entire trilogy in two weeks on my Nook. First book was free, and the other two were $3 I think.
That just got added to my "to read" list. Kurt, have you ever read any Ursula K. Leguin?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nope, I never have. There's an astonishing number of authors that I haven't even heard of, never mind read. I stopped devouring books right after high school due to a distinct lack of time. I only recently started reading again in earnest because I really missed it. And when I got a Nook, I started reading even more.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

KurtHuhn wrote:Nope, I never have. There's an astonishing number of authors that I haven't even heard of, never mind read. I stopped devouring books right after high school due to a distinct lack of time. I only recently started reading again in earnest because I really missed it. And when I got a Nook, I started reading even more.

Well I think that's great.

I highly recommend "A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. Leguin. It's a deep and rich fantasy novel that completely changed how I viewed the genre. After reading this book, I realized that fantasy could be a medium through which universal life questions could be addressed in a way which allowed the reader to see themselves and humanity in a new light. It's a brief and brilliant read.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I distinctly recall that title - though don't know why....

I will definitely check it out. Thanks David!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

KurtHuhn wrote:I distinctly recall that title - though don't know why....

I will definitely check it out. Thanks David!
LeGuin is great, a master of the fantasy genre.