Sanding Rig

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Mark Beattie

Sanding Rig

Post by Mark Beattie »

After a long time with rasps and files and holding my breath in a shed while sanding with a belt sander, I finally decided create a sanding rig. After purchasing a metal lathe I broke my wood lathe down and used it for parts. The headstock and motor to create this sanding setup. It is all mounted on a 3/4" MDF bed and bolted through the bottom. The motor is mounted on a plateau of MDF which matches the height of the headstock. The motor pivots around a single blot and can be locked in place using a wing nut type washer for quick belt changing. Simple adjustments are needed to create the proper belt tension but overall it works great. I use this in conjunction with a 1" belt sander. Maybe this will spark some ideas for your own sanding rig.

wmolaw

Re: Sanding Rig

Post by wmolaw »

Mark Beattie wrote:After a long time with rasps and files and holding my breath in a shed while sanding with a belt sander, I finally decided create a sanding rig. After purchasing a metal lathe I broke my wood lathe down and used it for parts. The headstock and motor to create this sanding setup. It is all mounted on a 3/4" MDF bed and bolted through the bottom. The motor is mounted on a plateau of MDF which matches the height of the headstock. The motor pivots around a single blot and can be locked in place using a wing nut type washer for quick belt changing. Simple adjustments are needed to create the proper belt tension but overall it works great. I use this in conjunction with a 1" belt sander. Maybe this will spark some ideas for your own sanding rig.

Excuse my ignorance, but why break the lathe down? Can't you, essentially, do the same with a jacobs chuck and a sanding pad?

That way you keep the wood lathe for different projects and you still have a sanding station.

Again, however, I am by no means an expert or even experienced in this area as I have only had a lathe for about three months.
DMI

Post by DMI »

I'll ditto the above, why lose the use of a lathe when there are so many other options for a sanding setup.

David.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Predictably, that was my first question as well. Considering the important bits all seem to be working, it would have been simpler just to leave it whole and not bother with building a jig and a table.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

To answer the question my guess would be space I have a similar set up in my shop. You can do anything with just a headstock ask the Brits
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Im going to say that after he emptied all of those beer bottles he doesn't remember why.
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

I forgot to crop those beer bottles out. Gull!

The decision to break the lathe down was an easy one. I have a Taig and a 10x20 metal lathe. All my turning options for stummels are covered as I've fashioned a too rest for the metal lathe bed. The wood lathe was eating space and it was, after all, only $400. To fashion a similar setup with single speed motors of some kind would probably have been cheaper but this was way easier. With this setup I actually do use a Jacobs chuck to hold all of the sanding equipment I have ie: fiber backed resin discs of a couple grits and my rubber sanding pad. It can also be used to hold the buffs that I have for polishing as well. It's a sanding and buffing operation rolled into one and it's actually quite convenient. If I ever need a wood lathe in the future, it's a 30 minutes drive and $400 away.

To save more space, I might consider recycling those bottles as well.