Jet Lathe and Nova Chuck - Price Check

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Cory

Jet Lathe and Nova Chuck - Price Check

Post by Cory »

Currently in correspondence with someone about a Jet Mini Lathe ( JML 10141), a Nova Midi Chuck (#48111), and a set of 7 tools. It has been used once. They want $250 for the lathe and $75 for the chuck and tools. Good deal? Bad deal? Should I counter with something lower?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
taharris

Re: Jet Lathe and Nova Chuck - Price Check

Post by taharris »

Offer him $300 for the whole package.

New Jet Mini Lathe - $500
New Nova Midi Chuck - $80 on sale
Tools - that is a hard one. Are they HSS or carbon steel?
If the tools are HSS you are golden. If they are carbon steel they really aren't worth a lot to you.
You will eventually want to upgrade.

I think it's a good deal.

Be sure to check the alignment. Put a drive center in the head stock and one in the tail stock and make sure they meet point to point. If the lathe is out of alignment run (don't walk) away.

Todd
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

Agree.....$300 for the package sounds good.
I play the bagpipes, heck when I started they said there were only 9 notes on a bagpipe. I said how hard can it be? lol
Cory

Post by Cory »

Tools are HSS
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

all the better :thumbsup:
I play the bagpipes, heck when I started they said there were only 9 notes on a bagpipe. I said how hard can it be? lol
Cory

Post by Cory »

Bought it. Picked up a Jacob's chuck for the tailstock. Can't wait to try it out.