Knets Inspired Brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Knets Inspired Brandy

Post by Alden »

This is a handful of pipe I just finished. Its based on pictures of Maigurs Knets patented trademarked signature Bent Brandy :D Hope his lawyers dont mind too much.
The extension is stabilized Black Ash Burl.
I know there are scratches on the stem, that is being redone. Any other critique is appreciated.

Blueb3

Re: Knets Inspired Brandy

Post by Blueb3 »

LOVE it! Great use of grain, and the shape is amazing! How does it feel in the hand? Is it too heavy with the thick shank?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That's a prety cool looking pipe! The stem is way over bent, IMO.

Rad
Alden

Post by Alden »

Blueb, its feels like a softball in the hand :lol: If you were into stealing stereos this could come in handy for busting out windows... :D The weight is 2.5 ounces. Its a fatboy for sure, but man I dig it. I want to do a couple variations on some of the design elements.
Thanks Rad. I don't know why I overbend all my stems ?? Every time someone points it out, it becomes obvious to me. I also like to make stems too long...
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Yes, I agree with Rad about the bend in the stem. Also, does that pipe have a "tramp-stamp" on its lower back?

TJ
Alden

Post by Alden »

ToddJohnson wrote: Also, does that pipe have a "tramp-stamp" on its lower back?

TJ
Indeed, all my Hoes do. Except my wife. Hers says "Property of Ryan Alden"

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Erp... wowza, man. Besides the overbend and the tool marks... I got nothin' to say except that you've made a fine pipe. Hell, I'd smoke it!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Wonderful work.
Best regards.
Félix

Magnífico trabajo.
Saludos.
Félix
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Great work! Love the ash burl extension!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

That's a nice pipe Ryan,
I think you did a lot of things very well. Other than the bend in the stem, I think your shank/bowl transition is a bit too clipped. you often hear people on the forum criticize for not taking enough off here, but you may have taken too much. Also, the nub at the bottom has an abrupt angle on it. I'm not familiar with the pipe you were imitating, and if you're just duplicating those features that's totally fine. Just be aware that on your own pipes you may want to smooth those transitions out a tad.

Oh, and I won't notify Maigur's attorneys...
Alden

Post by Alden »

e Markle wrote:That's a nice pipe Ryan,
I think you did a lot of things very well. Other than the bend in the stem, I think your shank/bowl transition is a bit too clipped. you often hear people on the forum criticize for not taking enough off here, but you may have taken too much. Also, the nub at the bottom has an abrupt angle on it. I'm not familiar with the pipe you were imitating, and if you're just duplicating those features that's totally fine. Just be aware that on your own pipes you may want to smooth those transitions out a tad.

Oh, and I won't notify Maigur's attorneys...
Thanks Ernie. The Shank/bowl transition is a mimic of the original. The bottom/end of the shank is a gentle curve versus the clipped angle on mine though. Maigurs pipe has more elegance to it, but there are several design features I didnt attempt on mine.
The bottom edge of the shank has a gentle curve where mine is straight. I thought about adding that, but honestly I was happy with this pipe, and didnt want to screw it up :lol:
I couldnt figure out exactly how he added a curved shank extension either. I consider bending a sheet of plastic to just the right angle, glueing sandpaper to it and sanding that curve into the shank and extension. Ultimately I decided a straight extension looks nice, and again I was afraid I would be over my head adding the curve.
Even though my pipe looks better when its not being compared to a masters work...... Heres a pic :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice looking pipe, Ryan. FWIW, Maigurs stem looks over-bent too.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

wdteipen wrote:Nice looking pipe, Ryan. FWIW, Maigurs stem looks over-bent too.
True dat
Alden

Post by Alden »

Heres some updated pics ;

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The stem bend is damn near perfect now. Nice!
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com