yet another how about this lathe topic

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Massis

Re: yet another how about this lathe topic

Post by Massis »

Alden wrote: Patience Grasshopper. I think everything works out for a reason. It is probably better you didnt buy this lathe, and I think you will find the one you are looking for.
thanks for the mental support :-) I just hate dealing with people on these 2nd hand websites because something ALWAYS happens. They don't show up, they arrive 2h late, the item goes missing in the post (kinda hard with a lathe), they just "happen" to find another buyer all of a sudden or even worse, decide they want to keep it.

edit: being the calm, friendly person that I am, I replied to his mail with quite an angry response. Turns out he's selling more then one lathe, it was a misunderstanding, and the myford is still up for grabs. He's removed the craigslist item and the lathe is definitely mine.

Seeing as this is a young guy (thank you facebook, apparently he's still a student), and doesn't appear to own a machine shop, it's rather surprising he's selling 2 lathes at the same time. In other words: I don't trust him. But I'm going to check out this myford anyway.
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Just today I found an Southbend Metal lathe auction.

Than lathe is restoerd and has all it's gears and an extra 4 jaw chuck.

Is there anyone here who have experience in a southbent 24" length lathe? is it accurate?

Thanks,
Michail
Massis

Post by Massis »

I ended up buying the myford. There are definitely some things wrong with it, such as 3 missing hinges on the covers and a bit of play on the slides, but she runs like a beauty and as far as I can tell my cuts are pretty darn straight.
I mainly have to be careful when using the crossslide. If I turn it 180° at a time and regrip it works fine, but when I try moving in at "high speed" just making full circles, I get a bit of play.

But hey, for €400 I think I got myself a decent starter lathe! (most super 7's go start from €800 for an old one, €1200 for a very decent one and upwards of €3500 for a refurbished one in factory condition!)

For now I've bolted it down to a leftover piece of kitchen from our ikea kitchen which is 1.5" thick and 100% flat, after which I clamped that onto my "workbench" (aka 1960's rabbit cage :lol: )

Some pictures:

Now all I need is a decent chuck!
And a QCTP.
And some decent turning tools.
and... :lol:
Alden

Post by Alden »

Cool ! Congratulations. The list of stuff goes on and on and on and.......
Too bad she not in better shape but you can fix the problems up one at a time as you figure out how to use everything.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Apart from the hinges/covers there is nothing on your super 7 that you should not be able to fix using the lathe itself to make the parts.