More Canadian-er ???

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

More Canadian-er ???

Post by Alden »

Well the last Canadian, which was my first Canadian, did not seem Canadian enough, according to a certain Canadian, who shall remain nameless ( it was Sasquatch :lol: ).
I think this one also has sinned and fallen short of the shape of a Canadian.
Heres the first;

And the Latest.

The extension is Ziricote.
meathod

Re: More Canadian-er ???

Post by meathod »

Wow, awesome. I would say an improvement for sure!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Improvement for sure! I still think your accent ring is way to big though- as a rule of thumb make it thinner than it is tall. As is it's just too stretched out for me.

Now lets just wait for Sas' to lurch in on this post!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
JMG

Post by JMG »

Sas is perpetually grumpy...and I think constipated, too (which would explain a lot.)

Big improvement. Personally, I'd like to see a shorter extension and longer shank, but maybe the briar didn't allow for it. Either way, though, it's really nice looking and certainly a big improvement over the first attempt. Great job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Alden

Post by Alden »

Its amazing how much difference there is side by side. I like the shank extension, I just havent figured out how to use that much wood successfully.
It's there for 2 reasons, one because I like the wood but also really to make length on the shank.
I have an idea how Jody Davis does his wood overlays on stems, I'm thinking incorporating something like that would give me the finished look I am going for.
I agree its not 100% successful as is.
Sas's Sasquatchian advice on shank taper and bowl shape had a lot to do with the improvements here, but I know there is still a lot to improve. (For some reason, my spellcheck is trying to tell me "Sasquatchian" is not a word ?? Sas, I thought you worked this out with Microsoft ???)
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

A Canadian by definition means a long briar shank and a short stem with at most, a very narrow, 1/4" or less ring. If you have to put an extension on the briar, IMHO, you have not made a Canadian but rather a billiard whose ratios are all wrong. bob gilbert
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I agree with Bob Gilbert. :help:

Rad
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

RadDavis wrote:I agree with Bob Gilbert. :help:

Rad

Now that produces pure terror in all who read it.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

staffwalker wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I agree with Bob Gilbert. :help:

Rad

Now that produces pure terror in all who read it.

I don't know about everyone else, but it made me giggle :D
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Personally, I like them both and would have no trouble being seen with either.

I also admire your pursuit of perfection and look forward to your progress as you dial it in.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Alden

Post by Alden »

staffwalker wrote:A Canadian by definition means a long briar shank and a short stem with at most, a very narrow, 1/4" or less ring. If you have to put an extension on the briar, IMHO, you have not made a Canadian but rather a billiard whose ratios are all wrong. bob gilbert
Thanks Bob those are valid points, and I hadn't really looked at it from that perspective.
On the first one, I was asking for help in proportions, but didnt get much direction there.
Thats ok though, I actually like the direction Im heading with the shape even though it is missing some things that need to be done a little different. And maybe it will never be a Canadian by definition :thumbsup: