squat apple, only one pic

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
the rev

squat apple, only one pic

Post by the rev »

Go ahead and rip it

this is my sixth pipe, but the others were all really freestyle pipes. I got Mark Tinsky to make me the kit with a ebonite rod and its the first time I shaped the stem.

I know there isn't much to go by, but I sent the pipe out with few pictures. A friend asked me to make him a pipe but he didn't want it to be rusticated as all his other pipes are rusticate. Well, as would happen this one had a bunch of tiny pits, so I did a decorative tribal design to hide some of the pits. I would love any advice, as long as its not, give up you suck

rev

ps, I did this all with a bench top 1 inch belt sander a dremel tool and my hands
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Ocelot55

Re: squat apple, only one pic

Post by Ocelot55 »

Hmmmm.... number six. Looks pretty good. So was this the first stem you've carved by hand? If so it looks pretty good, although the button looks like it needs refinement.

I'm really not a fan of the rustication. IMHO it looks like there is something on the briar that needs cleaned off. If you want to do designs make them look more deliberate.

The stem/shank junction looks like it might need a little help. It appears to have a slight gap or is just not quite flush. Make sure to shape the stem and the stummel together.

Bowl shaping looks pretty good, although I think more meat could come off the chin and the bottom cheeks.

All in all you have nothing to be ashamed of. My biggest piece of advice to you would be to take your time. I used to make pipes in about 4 hours, but as I learned how much work was really involved to get things right it started taking me longer and longer. Now I'm taking 12 hours or more for each pipe. (I timed the last one as per Trever T's advice) So take your time. Go slow and be deliberate.

Good job. :thumbsup:

GO MAKE ANOTHER!!!!!!!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

P.S.: What's the purple fuzzy amoeba that looks like its about to eat your pipe?
the rev

Post by the rev »

thanks, this was taken at the owners house, I have no idea what the purple thing is... and I also think he may not have pushed the stem in all the way, I did carve them at the same time. And yes it was the first time carving the stem, it was not easy, and then I bubbled it bending it and had to sand a lot more of it.

Thanks for the advice.

I have some pipes to make for friends that want pipes similar to ones I made for myself, I will post pictures but once those are out of the way I will start doing traditional pipes so y'all can get me on the straight and narrow. Also start drilling my own briar.

rev

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'm going to assume that it's a purple boa.....or a feather duster. Either way, it's a great prop :D
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
the rev

Post by the rev »

rev