13-12 Danish bent brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

13-12 Danish bent brandy

Post by Ocelot55 »

Greetings fellow pipe makers.

Here is my latest attempt at pipemaking. Please let me know what you think. I need all the critique I can get. Thanks for looking.

RadDavis

Re: 13-12 Danish bent brandy

Post by RadDavis »

The shaping looks pretty nice, but there must be something wrong with my monitor. The pipe looks green. :twisted:

It also seems like the stem should be more shiny.

Rad
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote:Greetings fellow pipe makers.

Here is my latest attempt at pipemaking. Please let me know what you think. I need all the critique I can get. Thanks for looking.

Nice looking pipe, can you tell me how you got the green stain? Tried several types, and they are all so insipid, yours looks great!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The shaping is very nicely done. I'm not a fan of green pipes but can overlook it because I know a lot of guys like them. What I can't overlook is the pairing of green with Cumberland. It just doesn't work IMHO. I will give you bonus points for the cleanly sanded chamber though. :wink:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

That pipe is well done. The red-green theme... Santa would smoke it :)
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

:lol: The pairing of the green stain and cumberland stem is causing quite a stir on another forum as well! :lol:

I don't think its the most ideal pairing, but it was per customer request. Undoubtedly black ebonite would have looked better, but I don't hate this pairing. Reminds me of a Christmas themed pipe.

The green stain is just Fiebing's leather dye.

Thanks for noticing the chamber, Wayne. I did it just for you! :wink:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I should also mention that it looks more like a bent billiard than a brandy.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

RadDavis wrote:I should also mention that it looks more like a bent billiard than a brandy.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Ok, this is the perfect time to have this discussion: when does a billiard qualify as a brandy and when does a brandy qaulify as a billiard. When I was naming this I was very tempted to call it a quarter bent billiard. I sat there for like 10 minutes and just stared at the pipe. In the end the bowl just looked too voluptuous to pass for a billiard. I remember someone said a while ago, I think Wayne, that a proper billiard bowl has a slight bulge about two thirds down, but other than that the sides are essentially straight. (Sorry if I am remembering incorrectly, Wayne)

I had the shape of an egg in mind while shaping this bowl. Would that qualify as a billiard. Any insights?
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote::lol: The pairing of the green stain and cumberland stem is causing quite a stir on another forum as well! :lol:

I don't think its the most ideal pairing, but it was per customer request. Undoubtedly black ebonite would have looked better, but I don't hate this pairing. Reminds me of a Christmas themed pipe.

The green stain is just Fiebing's leather dye.

Thanks for noticing the chamber, Wayne. I did it just for you! :wink:
Really? I have the Kelly green and it doesn't come close to even being green!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Shit, Jesse! Shaping looks great and the fit and finish look a lot better!

I'm not a huge fan of the green stain either, but I could see it's appropriateness for a Christmas morning smoke.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Ocelot55 wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I should also mention that it looks more like a bent billiard than a brandy.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Ok, this is the perfect time to have this discussion: when does a billiard qualify as a brandy and when does a brandy qaulify as a billiard. When I was naming this I was very tempted to call it a quarter bent billiard. I sat there for like 10 minutes and just stared at the pipe. In the end the bowl just looked too voluptuous to pass for a billiard. I remember someone said a while ago, I think Wayne, that a proper billiard bowl has a slight bulge about two thirds down, but other than that the sides are essentially straight. (Sorry if I am remembering incorrectly, Wayne)

I had the shape of an egg in mind while shaping this bowl. Would that qualify as a billiard. Any insights?
A brandy is usually much wider at the bottom and tapers to the narrow top like a brandy glass.

Here's a brandy by Peter Matzhold: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/m ... _id=102181

Rad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well that Matzhold is definitely a brandy!

I did a pipe search on smoking pipes for bent brandies. Most of the choices were indeed very brandy like; but several appear more like a bent billiard to me.

I don't know...I guess I'm looking for some hard and fast rules that clearly delineate the two shapes. Of course that might be a pipe dream. :wink:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

There seems to be a point where the billiard and brandy overlap depending on how rotund the waist is. This one looks more billiard than brandy to me. Also, you should never listen to anything I say; past, present, or future.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wdteipen wrote:There seems to be a point where the billiard and brandy overlap depending on how rotund the waist is. This one looks more billiard than brandy to me. Also, you should never listen to anything I say; past, present, or future.
Sure thing, Wayne. Henceforth I shall no longer listen to anything you say including you saying not to listen to anything you say. :lol:
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Rad

A brandy is usually much wider at the bottom and tapers to the narrow top like a brandy glass.

Here's a brandy by Peter Matzhold: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/m ... _id=102181

Rad
Rod Davies, you ain't too smart. That thar is uh seaweed urchin brandified billiardesque smoking contraption.
Damn, you're such an ignoramus!

All kidding aside, it's a nice bent billiard, but it's off slightly on the back side of the heel (toward the stems bottom side). Just keep in mind, the eye picks up .0001 of an inch. It's amazing how so little means so much in the small medium in which we work.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

baweaverpipes wrote:All kidding aside, it's a nice bent billiard, but it's off slightly on the back side of the heel (toward the stems bottom side). Just keep in mind, the eye picks up .0001 of an inch. It's amazing how so little means so much in the small medium in which we work.
That's crazy!

Where exactly are you talking about, Bruce? All this "back" "front" "up" "down" terminology has left me confused in the past.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I really like it, you did a good job on this one! Nice lines and overall composition IMO=)