My first bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JonBood

My first bulldog

Post by JonBood »

Well guys, here´s the latest. A bulldog, slightly tilted and with a moose antler extension.

I thought I would have more time for pipe making this summer but my visions were probably a bit optimistic. On the other hand I had time to mess up two pipes. The first one had a really bad flaw going through the whole draught hole and I realized it a bit too late. Second one cracked as I was a bit too rough while turning the extension, probably some flaw in the wood there as well.
All in all, I got this one done and another similar style half completed as of now.
Technically speaking it is the best one I’ve done so far, although I am a bit unsatisfied with the grain pattern.

Well, here it is. Thank you for watching and I’ll gladly take advice on what to improve for the next one!

Weight: 21.8g (=0.048 pounds, not sure what unit you guys use), Total length: 123mm (= 4.85 inches)

Regards Jon

Ocelot55

Re: My first bulldog

Post by Ocelot55 »

I really like that little guy. Proportionally it's not a proper bulldog. The shank is too long and the stem too short, but it looks very well executed and has some very nice classic details. That's one pipe I wouldn't mind having on my shelf!
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Thanks man! You might be correct regarding the proportions=) I personally like longer shanks and shorter stems as long as the overall proportions of the stem+shank fits with the bowl, however this might be the wrong way of doing it. In that case or if the overall composition feels wrong, please let me know..
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I suppose when you put it that way the pipe does indeed have a type proportionality to it, just not the traditional way. Still while it looks slightly odd (for me at least) it is only because it's not laid out like a traditional English bulldog. Definitely a beautiful pipe. Maybe you should fool around with making a lovat/bulldog hybrid. That would satisfy your aesthetic preference and maybe make a cool new shape. Just thinking out loud.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a pretty nice pipe. The shank is long for a traditional bulldog but your overall proportions make it all work and to me it is a refreshing twist on a traditional shape. The only thing I see that could be improved is the plane your shank is faced where it meets the antler. It doesn't appear to be perpendicular to your shank and has a slight tilt back towards the bowl. I really like the moose antler. Where can a guy get some of that?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Ocelot: That might be a cool idea=)

Wayne: You are correct about the antler not beeing fully perpendicular, I think I got some catch in my mini-lathe while turning the hard antler and then, when I was facing and drilling out the mortice, it just wasn´t at the exact same plane anymore. :(
The antlers I got fresh from the woods=) Theyre a bit tricky though..I find that they are very sensitive to humidity and change their thickness somewhat (maybe that goes for all antlers). I´ve tried to close it in with some CA-glue but I really think the best would be to capsel it in as a stem ring with ebonite on all sides and som CA on the outside, but thats just my idea.
And yeah, the black spots are from my leather dye leaching into the antlers and voila; blackdots when I sanded it out :lol:
billiard

Post by billiard »

Good work Jon!

I made my first Dog over the weekend, and they are tough buggers aint they? I imagine like any other shape they get easier after a couple,, well I hope so ;)

Like the antler too.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Thanks Bill!

Yeah its a bugger to get a perfect diamond or square profile! Think it will get easier over time, this one I did with only files but the one I've got going on I dared to try the disc sander for at least a while..sure did cut some time on that!
How did yours turn out?

/Jon
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I saw it now on your web page. Good job, I like it! Almost got a snake skin-like look on that rustication 8)

BTW, I tried to find the model you were replicating with that RedRhodie pipe that caused some debate but my Googling was in vain. Do you have a link?
billiard

Post by billiard »

JonBood wrote:I saw it now on your web page. Good job, I like it! Almost got a snake skin-like look on that rustication 8)

BTW, I tried to find the model you were replicating with that RedRhodie pipe that caused some debate but my Googling was in vain. Do you have a link?
Well that was the problem with it Jon :) It started life as a riff off of a GBD 9438, which is one of these:

However I hit a big flaw in the shank so I wacked at it with a hatchet until the flaw was gone and then tried to make something that resembled a pipe out of it. Mechanically it was as solid as you'd want but looks wise, well it looked like I didn't have a clue because it was just what it was. I just gifted it to a friend and shouldn't have posted it on here in the first place. Trevor deleted the thread for me, and my friend thought it was a fantastic pipe, so it all worked out in the end. And let's leave that as the end if it here too ;)
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Sure dude! I just was a bit curious=) But if you see past that flaw in the wood that you had to work around I think you did a good job!