Drill Press Help

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
brurobas

Drill Press Help

Post by brurobas »

Good afternoon guys,

I have the oportunity to buy the following drill press:

http://www.bosch-do-it.co.uk/boptocs2-u ... index.html

I know it looks a bit tiny but this is what i can figure out:

- Although i only have about 27cms / 11'' between the chuck and the base i won't be needing a vice since there is a clamping piece attached to the Drill Presses's column which along with another piece that is a part of the base helps me secure the block.

- The drill stroke is 90mm / 3.55 inches which is most than in bigger drill presses.

Considering these aspects do you think this drill press could be suitable to drilling pipes and i should pay the $200 they are asking for it?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Bruno
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Drill Press Help

Post by KurtHuhn »

The problem I see right away with that drill is that it seems specifically designed for drilling into flat, uniform objects. Probably great for a cabinetry shop, but not good for someone who needs to clamp and drill irregular blocks. The clamp most certainly won't hold a block of briar at the angles you'll want to position it, and I have serious doubts about its ability to hold the block securely while drilling the tobacco chamber.

I would not get that one. You're going to be much happier getting something like this, along with a bench press vise.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SDM30-Pi ... 503&sr=1-4
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Save up your money and buy a lathe.

Todd
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

First of all thank you for your answers.
KurtHuhn wrote: I would not get that one. You're going to be much happier getting something like this, along with a bench press vise.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SDM30-Pi ... 503&sr=1-4
But isn't a spindle travel of 50mm / 2'' a bit short when you are drilling airholes in blocks of briar?

What about the Bosch model with a short height vise to hold the blocks.

Thank you once again
Massis

Post by Massis »

Mine has a max spindle travel of 60mm which has never given me any problems (I've never made a churchwarden though).

The problem with these smaller ones is that if you fit a cross vice on the table, the max distance between block and chuck suddenly is only 10 orso cm, which is too little if you want to use a spade bit or any other extra long bit.

I fixed this by having a friend who used a press at work to pop out my column from the base and press in a new column which is 30cm's higher. I then ordered another clamping ring (used to secure the "scrollrail" to the column) so I could have the rail fitted higher up the column. I can now easily fit large blocks in my clamp and still have about 15-20cm's of spare room after I fit an extra long bit...

Total cost me €7 for the extra clamping ring and €20 orso for the column :-)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Looks a bit gimmicky to me, plus I have not been too impressed with the latest power tools from Bosch.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

If you're going to use a drill press, get one with a table that is movable up and down and side to side.

Rad
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Don't buy this thing, save your money for a lathe.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

There's nothing wrong with a drill press. I made my first couple of hundred pipes with a drill press. But you need one that's suitable for drilling pipes. The Bosch ain't it.

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

RadDavis wrote:If you're going to use a drill press, get one with a table that is movable up and down and side to side.

Rad

What he said. Delta makes one that's suitable and not that expensive. I still use mine from time to time.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

taharris wrote:Save up your money and buy a lathe.

Todd
What he said.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

brurobas wrote:But isn't a spindle travel of 50mm / 2'' a bit short when you are drilling airholes in blocks of briar?

What about the Bosch model with a short height vise to hold the blocks.
I used one that size for a year or two before getting a lathe, and while I had to get creative with drilling larger pipes, it wasn't a serious impediment. Unless you really have another need for that Bosch, which looks like a one trick pony to me, you're going to be disappointed in it.

I don't own a cross slide vise and I never really found a need for one. It might have made things easier, but I got the job done with a simple, low profile one like this:
http://www.toolbarn.com/irwinquickgrip- ... 4AodJAgAmA

It actually gives you tons of freedom to move the block around in a variety of ways to get the holes going in the direction you need.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Thank you very much with your help guys!

Regards

Bruno