Good price?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Ocelot55

Re: Good price?

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well, gentlemen. I just finished unloading the lathe. I so excited to use it, but I have no clue how to operate one. I'm gonna check out the videos Jeff Gracik posted a while back. I've also found a copy of the owners manual online for $30, so I'm gonna pick that up too.

Thank you all for your help. I will warn you guys to look out for a lot of stupid questions from me in the near future as I figure out how to operate this monster.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Happy hunter, so to speak. And don't worry, your questions won't be any stupider than mine were :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Congratulations! Those videos are a great place to get started. Everything I know about using my lathe I learned from those videos. Can't wait to start seeing questions and pipes! :D
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Leus

Post by Leus »

I would add that if you know somebody who earns a living working with lathes ask him if for an introductory class. I'm glad I did.

That looks like a nice lathe. Bummer they used that handle to hang a key.

(I see an awesome restoration project, but that's me.)
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Did you take the headstock off to move it? Hope not, they're not mounted on the ways like a Logan or South Bend and it's a bit tricky to get it square again once it's been off.

Have fun! Start slowly, turn a few cylinders to get a feel for it. Some of the controls like the threading lever, are meant to engage with the lathe running. Others, like the back gear and the quick change gear box, will break if you try to drop them in when the lathe is moving even a little. Can't tell you how many lathes I've seen with broken teeth on the bull gear from somebody hurrying and dropping in the back gear with it still turning a couple of rpm. Wear safety glasses!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the tip, Jack. I don't think I'll be using any of the fancy features until I get the manual. I found a copy online for $30. Now I gotta figure out what extra tooling I'll need to make pipes.

SOOO EXCITED!! :thumbsup:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Have you used your new honey yet??? I wanna hear a horror story.

I just bought a couple of turning blanks and am going to make bowls for my mom and mother-in-law. Can't wait to get started. As soon as I get my new motor, that is.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

No, not yet. I'm waiting on an owner's manual. Then I need to figure out what else I need like turning tools and what not. The last thing I want to do is turn on the lathe and start cranking dials before I know exactly what's gonna happen.