I did it!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
PipesByDesign

I did it!

Post by PipesByDesign »

I'm not normally the kind of guy who has the luck of finding the deal to end all deals on Craigslist. Well, I'm usually the guy who finds it five minutes after the other guy who buys it. But not today! It's not a South Bend 9A with tons of tooling and collets, but I am very happy with my purchase of a brand spankin' new JET bandsaw. It's not just new to me, it's new. The guy I bought it from got it new from Woodcraft for his wood sculpting business but never used it. He never even assembled it. I scoured it over and there's not a speck of sawdust on the thing. The plastic is still wrapped around the cast iron table. The assembly bolts and screws are still in the packaging.

New price... $750. My price $275. I feel a little bad...just a little... as he seemed like he was pressed for cash. But the pressures of needing to liquidate for a move worked in my favor. I did feel a bit vulture-ish as I carried its pieces through his box filled apartment... oh well. It also worked out perfectly that my wife and I were in Chicago for the weekend so I didn't have to make the three hour drive just for this...

Here's what I got:
http://www.amazon.com/708115K-JWBS-14CS ... 14+bandsaw

Now for that lathe...
Massis

Re: I did it!

Post by Massis »

Nice one! That'll serve you for years to come! Just make sure you don't lose any fingers, bandsaws are scary as hell!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sweet! I've just started hankering for a good band saw and that one looks like it'll serve you well.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

Yes, bandsaws terrify me. I've had one mishap in the few years I used the 9" no-name brand saw... wasn't paying attention and nearly removed my thumb...thankfully just a chunk of flesh and not the whole thing (me to customer: Why yes...that red splotch is stain). After that I exercise above normal caution.

I'm excited to get this thing hooked up and dusty...
Growley

Post by Growley »

Great find! My little machine barely cuts the briar, but it's a lot less scary. I tried to use a bandsaw that was taller than me one time (massive sucker) and it sent the piece of wood I was holding flying at a ridiculous rate. There's not a doubt in my mind it would have taken my arm off.

Be careful!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Very nice pickup. It should serve you well for just about anything.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

That's interesting; I've always felt bandsaws were fairly predictable machines, so long as you keep track of where all your fingers are.

Congrats! I love me some craigslist. It's my go-to for almost anything expensive. Enjoy.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Beauty! Wow, $275, that is one hell of a deal, more than that, one hell, hell, hell of a deal!
Massis

Post by Massis »

AldenW wrote:That's interesting; I've always felt bandsaws were fairly predictable machines, so long as you keep track of where all your fingers are.
keep track of your fingers AND keep the piece of wood flat on the table. Catches are nasty on bandsaws...
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

wmolaw wrote:Beauty! Wow, $275, that is one hell of a deal, more than that, one hell, hell, hell of a deal!
That's exactly how I feel.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

PipesByDesign wrote:
wmolaw wrote:Beauty! Wow, $275, that is one hell of a deal, more than that, one hell, hell, hell of a deal!
That's exactly how I feel.
And with good reason! I thought I had a good deal with an older Craftsman 12" band saw in great shape, $175 and he delivered, but yours is way over the top!
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,
PipesByDesign wrote:...After that I exercise above normal caution...
Above normal caution IS normal.
Less than that is foolish.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art