Rod stock

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
RocheleauPipes

Rod stock

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Hi Tyler,

I was speaking to kirk Bosi and he mentioned you were ordering some rod from NYH Rubber. I was curious if you were then going to have stock to sell. The minimum is way beyond my means to get it from them direct, and Tom Eltang has not answered my email enquiring about his rod for sale. Some time in the near future I will need some. If you are going to have some for sale, can you let me know the price, the quality, and if it is machined or rough please? I have a brand new metal lathe; I'm on a learning curve with it, and can now entertain the idea of handcutting stems.

Thanks,
John
PS: I was going to email you about this, but couldn't find your email addy on the site.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

John,

I do have an order in for vulcanite, and I do intend to sell it from this site. Unfortunately though, due to an equipment failure that backed the manufacturer up, I do not expect to see the stuff for about 2-3 months.

As for my e-mail, I sure am not trying to hide it. :D Perhaps the easiest thing to do is find a post I've made here in the forum, and hit the "e-mail" button on my post.

Other than Eltang, you can try Hermann's (see my materials sources page) but the wire transfer fees and shipping will be painful.

Best,
Tyler
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Thanks Tyler,

I can likely wait for the rod to arrive if you'll have some to sell. I was trying to line things up for when I need it, rather than be desparate.

Cheers,
John
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

John,

I heard from Barbi today, and my order is officially in. (Apparently the company quit taking orders until they were back in action.) At any rate, a 10-11 week delivery is quoted to Barbi, who then will need to ship to me.

Tyler
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Thanks Tyler. When you have it firmed up in regards to availability, size, price etc, I'd appreciate knowing more.

Best Regards,
John
robert

Post by robert »

Tyler,
This is great to read! Glad you will have some rod in the near future for sale, I'll be needing some about the time you say your shipment comes in.

robert
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have ordered two sizes:

21mm
24mm

No cumberland ordered this time. Barbi doesn't need any, and my order was apparently too small. I will attempt to get cumberland in the future if all goes well with this first order. I suspect that things will go well enought that I am able to order from the factory by myself before too long. Then I'll be able to have more options. I just need to get the cash flow for that.

Tyler
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Tyler,

I'll be interested in some. Please let me know when it arrives.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Will do, Stephen.

In fact, I have been working on a storefront for this site that will be unveiled once I have some supplies to sell.

Tyler
Red

Post by Red »

Put me on the list too, Tyler. Thanks.