Scalloped Tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Brendhain

Scalloped Tenon

Post by Brendhain »

What exactly is a Scalloped Tenon?
ToddJohnson

Re: Scalloped Tenon

Post by ToddJohnson »

Brendhain wrote:What exactly is a Scalloped Tenon?
I've never heard this term before. Could you describe it?

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Are you talking funnelling the end of the tenon, rather than leaving it flat?

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Here, I actually found a recipe online:

Escalloped Tenons

2 lbs. Tenons, cut into 1/4" slices
1 onion chopped
1/4 C heavy cream
1/3 C grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp. Paprika

Combine first six ingredients in a shallow baking pan. Sprinkle Paprika on top and bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Let cool for 10 mins. before serving.

I haven't tried this recipe with tenons yet, but its great with potatos. Let me know how it works out for you.

Todd
bluesmk

escalloped tenon:

Post by bluesmk »

Todd,
You're a piece of work! :wink:
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Lee Valley tools has what they call a floating tenon. It has a scalloped surface so that air can escape when putting it together.

Is that what you are talking about?
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

I think Rad has the right answer but , I must add, Todd's recipe sounds delightful!!

How can the scalloping (refering to Rad's idea, not Todd's-he's recipe was quite specific) be done smoothly? Does anyone do that to there tenons?
jeff

Post by jeff »

I usually funnel the end of the tenon using a countersink. The smoothest results come from doing this while it is spinning in the lathe, but doing it by hand works as well. I made sure that a bought a pretty high quality, 4 flute countersink to do this to reduce the chances of chatter or another cause of an unattractive finish. If you are talking about rounding the outside edge of the tenon, I do this in the lathe as well, although a piece of sandpaper would take care of it pretty easily as well. I hope I answered your question.

Jeff
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I cut the countersink while I'm drilling the draft hole through the stem. With the rod stock chucked up in my lathe, I use a 5/32" or 11/64" tapered bit with a countersink attached. It creates a relatively smooth surface, but I don't need a glass finish at this point. Once the stem is removed from the lathe, I use a smaller diameter tapered bit (this way it spins freely and there is no friction) with the same size countersink. All it takes is a few careful twists of the hand and you have a surface that's ready to take a polish. If you scroll down the page and take a look at this picture, you can see the results after buffing. There's never any sanding required. Best of luck.

http://www.stoabriars.com/photos/BlastedAcorn2Group.JPG

Todd
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

That is some "perty" work there, Todd.

Thanks for the info and advice, everyone. The term kept showing up in some literature I was reading and I couldn't quite figure out what they meant. It had to do with reducing the turbulence in the draft hole in order to reduce condensation.